Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: Mountain Hardware Kanza 55
Sleeping Gear: Slumberjack Ultimate 30
Shelter: REI Passage 2

My current gear list 1st backpacking trip imminent

I've been building up my kit and have gone car camping several times with my son and his Scout pack over the last couple of years. I'm going to head out on an Autumn backpacking trip with a friend soon and hope that I've got what need to be successful. I want to get a couple of more items, such as a water filter before the trip & I'd value any additional input from you as well. I'm not looking to build an ultralight setup, mainly due to the fact that I will still mainly car camp & I also know that I'll be carrying a fair amount of my son's gear for him as well once he starts hiking more with me. I also like to sleep comfortably & am not bothered to carry some weight for that. Here's what I've got so far:

Mountain Hardware Kanza 55 backpack

(Shelter)
REI Passage 2
Slumberjack Ultimate 30
Exped Synmat 7 M

(Illumination)
Black Diamond headlamp

(Knife)
Gerber Remix

(Clothing)
synthetic baselayer (for day if needed)
wool baselayer (for sleep if needed)
fleece 1/4 zippered shirt
convertible pants
Ex Offico synthetic underwear
wool socks (2)
cycling socks (2)
Wool beanie (for sleeping)
ball cap (daytime use)

Maps from Google
First aid kit

Fire making gear (matches & BBQ lighter)
Tent repair kit & tools

Food
Snow Peak stove & fuel
GSI Dualist mess kit
Mountain house & boil meals

Water
1000ml Nalgene knock-off bottle
Osprey 3 liter bladder
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

poncho
compass
whistle
matches
rope
trowel
tp
hand sanitizer, especially if you forget the tp

are you going where a bear bag or canister will be needed?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

water treatment method such as ClO2 would be really good to have even if you plan to pack all your water in.

if you don't object to mild 'uh...' factor babywipes over TP. pack them out in a very well marked ziplock.

ditto the compass/whistle/etc. pay heed to the 11 essentials or however many there are nowadays. make sure your son has his own separate set of all of the essentials and knows exactly how to use them.

flashlight(s) for both of you. maybe even a few glowsticks.

Last edited by dsuursoo : 08-13-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: Mountain Hardware Kanza 55
Sleeping Gear: Slumberjack Ultimate 30
Shelter: REI Passage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogods
poncho
compass
whistle
matches
rope
trowel
tp
hand sanitizer, especially if you forget the tp

are you going where a bear bag or canister will be needed?

No bears in Southern Wisconsin & Northern Illinois.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a whistle built into the sternum strap of the pack. I have also purchased a survival/first aid kit that included a whistle, space blanket, matches, fire starters, etc. I neglected to mention that I also have a rain jacket that will come along with me. I assume that it can take the place of the poncho in your list.

I'll pack rope, a trowel, baby wipes, & hand sanitizer too. I need to purchase a compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
water treatment method such as ClO2 would be really good to have even if you plan to pack all your water in.

if you don't object to mild 'uh...' factor babywipes over TP. pack them out in a very well marked ziplock.

ditto the compass/whistle/etc. pay heed to the 11 essentials or however many there are nowadays. make sure your son has his own separate set of all of the essentials and knows exactly how to use them.

flashlight(s) for both of you. maybe even a few glowsticks.

Backup water treatment seems like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll happily pack in baby wipes & a ziplock bag too.

My son and I each have a headlamp & I have the smartphone with flashlight app as a backup. I was hoping to skip out on carrying in an additional flashlight. In your experience, is it really necessary if I have fresh batteries in the headlamps & spares in the pack?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTires

My son and I each have a headlamp & I have the smartphone with flashlight app as a backup. I was hoping to skip out on carrying in an additional flashlight. In your experience, is it really necessary if I have fresh batteries in the headlamps & spares in the pack?

neccesary? not always.

intelligent practice? hell yes. sometimes you get a flake battery. sometimes your light gets bumped just so and it runs all day while it's in your pack. you'd be amazed.

many of us invest in either long-storage batteries or rechargeables. worth the extra money frankly. at a minimum i would read up on checking battery charge levels or get a charge-checker.

a candle lantern of some sort might also be useful, especially if you nix carrying batteries.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Camelback HAWG
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Hoodoo 3

If you are walking, a trekking pole is a great, lightweight piece of kit. The pole can be used and a tentpole, a stand for a lantern, a fire stoker, or to run animals off.
Everyone should carry bleach while existing outdoors. Washing dishes, sanitizing gear, and treating water to make it potable are just a few applications. You don't need much; a small 1 oz. squirt bottle is all you need