Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Car Camping for Acclimation

To be honest, going from an elevation of 72' to 10,000 and up was a bit of a concern for me. I know from skiing that 12,000 is where I tend to feel the altitude mostly but that's all going downhill. What would happen when I attempted to carry 7 days of food and gear for a hike that starts at 10,000 and touches 12K?
I found a fantastic and lightly used forest camping area near Cumbres Pass named Trujillo Meadows. As a solo hiker I liked the chance to check in with campground hosts and get the lay of the land from their perspective. This also let me get a feel for the temperature variations I might encounter and, yes, the down booties went back into the pack after the first night in camp.

Do you use car camping to prepare for a backpacking trip? In what ways does car camping help you?

yippikiyo
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

Yippi, car camping is usually how i like to acclimate as well. going from 1500' to 12,000 in one day could be hard on me, i dont spend much time up that high so a night at 7-9,000 is what i shoot for if going higher the next day (or several)
im going to Pagosa Springs at the end of this week and camping at Adams Fork before summiting Conejos Peak (13, xxx) and hiking a segment of the CDT.
The highest Ive been is Arizona's tallest peak @ 12,637 so im curious to see how i can handle 13er's for 5 days.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Car camping is how I prefer to acclimate, with some dayhiking thrown in. To go much above 10 kfeet, I like two days at 8k.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

I went from a couple hundred ft to 10k plus in a few days' time. That didn't bother me much, though I did feel a little weaker for a few days. If I was going higher, I'd spend a day acclimating probably just below 10k. Car camping seems a good way to do it. Got a favorite acclimation campground?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Man I can't believe how easy it is for you guys to get to 10,000'. If I want to get to those altitudes I've either got to fly or go overseas! I'm jealous!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Great Basin National Park in Nevada has Wheeler Peak Campground at 10,000 feet elevation. After one day, easy enough to hike up to Wheeler Peak 13k. Least visited NP in America.