Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle, Women's
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Helium womens, Downmat 9 or BA Clearview
Shelter: Double Rainbow

The multitool is my keychain. There are times I'd totally leave it behind and take just my knife... like a much more strenuous trip than I had this weekend. As it was I was glad I had it because my tea-ball got jammed. I didn't even mean to take the tea-ball but it slipped in... and I used it and needed the pliers to open it up again. Back to using bits of tulle for tea strainers!

As for the rattlesnake kit... we've debated it back and forth. See the thread on Rattlesnakes for my reasons for taking it and and the recent thread on snakebite kits for others reasons for not using it, and take your pick
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo4223
Only thing that I'm still iffy about is the tent footprint. There's plenty of hard ground/rocks/pokey madrone roots around. I hate that extra 7 oz, but I'm not sure I can find a place sufficiently free of pokey bits to put the tent down without it. Decisions decisions....
Good list.

I don’t know if you are aware of this item or not.
The Spinnsheet Ground Cloth works great for a footprint. Of course they aren’t fitted like the manufactures ones, { I just fold the edges under the tent}, but they are way lighter, fairly water resistant and very tough. I got rid of my footprints and only use these now. The smaller one that I use with my Hubba weighs around 2oz.

Last edited by Holubar : 05-06-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Rehashing an old thread (Again!), but I do have two comments to make :

1. WHAT is he going to plug his phone charger into? That could be left back in the car..

2. Sawyers "Snake Bite kits" are rubbish - they do NOT work. Period..
They went out of fashion over 30 years ago, along with the disproven old "cut and suck" techniques...

Adding a 3"-4" elastic crepe bandage to his ACE bandage there gives him his snakebite treatment ~ AND multipurpose/multi-use into the deal..
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I would say that you could easily do without the phone charger. Just put it in "airplane mode" and your battery life will be greatly extended. I have had good results doing this. On a recent four dayer I took a ton of pictures with my phone, and the phone still showed a full battery. Of course not 100%, but no bars missing, and plenty for emergency use.

Happy hiking!