Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Trailhead > Trip Reports
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Trip Reports The Trip Reports forum is for backpackers to share their actual (not links to) trip reports and/or journal entries for their wilderness backpacking and day-hiking trips. Please include photos and information regarding what worked (e.g. gear) and what didn't.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Mosquitoes and high altitude

We had a real Sierra experience with mosquitoes this last week in Yosemite. (TR to follow in a day or two—I’m working on it!) We had hiked cross-country to Roosevelt Lake. The first night in Conness Canyon was at about 8,000 feet, and while it was quite cold at night down in the canyon (37F) there were relatively few bugs.

The next night, at Roosevelt Lake (10,200) it was warmer by a few degrees, but the bugs were fierce. The following day we cross-countried over to Young Lake. Upper Young Lake (10,000+) was a mosquito nightmare—you couldn’t walk without inhaling them. Middle YL was a touch better, at 9,900 feet.

And Lower Young Lake, at 9,800, was better still. We camped out on a dry ridge northwest of the lake, and managed to avoid using headnets for part of the evening! Temperature here was a few degrees warmer still.

Just goes to show that conditions are all local…and if you are at 10,000 feet in the Sierra this week, God help you with the bugs! -
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

That is one reason that I don't Backpack during the summer! We have plenty of mosquitoes too in Alabama (400-2100ft.)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I'm going up to Desolation Wilderness in a couple of weeks. I will be trying out a tarp for the first time. At the last minute, I decided I did not want to take a chance on the mosquitoes, so I ordered a Mountain Laurel Design bug bivy. I'm thinking it will probably be better to be safe than sorry.

Based on the OP, I may bring along a head net too.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

last weekend we got chased out early from a trip to baker lake(washington) by the mosquitos. my two youngest reacted to something in the bite and welted up almost as badly as i did.

i must be nuts because i'm going back there in a couple weeks to do the east bank trail with my niece.

deet/permethrin are going to be my best friends.