Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Dehydrated Biscuits and Gravy

Have you dehydrated a biscuits and gravy meal, perhaps with meat, for any of your backpacking trips? If so, please share the details.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I have tried the Mountain house biscuits and gravy. It was terrific! I think Im going to try to dehydrate my own biscuits, and get some of the powdered gravy mix, and use a freezer bag hydration. I love a good hearty breakfast on some mornings.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

quite a long time back i did an improvised one using bannock(pre-mixed dry at home), bacon grease, a little flour and powdered milk(mixed with water) - came out well. it wasn't fire and forget like a dehydrated version would be.

to be honest i didn't think there would BE a biscuits and gravy pre-made/dehydrated, like dhagen describes. kind of mind blowing.

i could see the gravy being easy enough - powdered milk(with some butter powder for the fat), arrowroot powder(to thicken so it doesn't need to simmer) and pre-make sausage/hamburger as per normal dehydrating routine. salt and pepper beforehand or after to taste and away you go. superficially similar to a dry-mix stroganoff i made once, just slightly different final result. it's not QUITE fire and forget - takes a bit of stirring - but it's light and low bulk.

i can't see safely dehydrating a pre-made gravy(and storing it for any length of time) - all that fat seems like it would make it funky. dry ingredients pre-assembled(somewhat) seems the way to go.

dehydrated biscuit, though... wouldn't that basically be hardtack/pilot cracker? add the tiniest dash of hot water and those soften up nice. if you don't have a way to make bannock on-trail, make hardtack at home and travel that - stuff keeps for ages and is super durable.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

We dehydrate quite a bit of our meals - the trick is to use as little fat as you can... get fat free chicken stock to start and make gravy out of it I cheat and use Wondra for flour( fat free powdered milk makes it a little richer) ... zero lumps every time - pre cook all your veg - I steam the carrots and peas and onions and I dehydrate the ingredients separately - while the gravy cooks down I throw dumplings on top and cook them .... they get dehydrated separately also. When re-hydrating I throw those in near the end of the re constitution time.
I store the dry mix in 2 serving sizes in ziplock freezer bags and store several of them together in a vacuum sealed bag ... they have lasted weeks in the mountains - when I store them at home I bag them up the same way and keep them in the freezer for months.The trick is using as little fat as you can.I always carry olive oil and/or a small container of butter with me on the trail to add a bit of fat ....
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEmerson
while the gravy cooks down I throw dumplings on top and cook them

using dumplings as biscuits is genius.