Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 05-11-2014, 02:04 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

A tent for all seasons

I moved to Montana a year ago and live adjacent to the Forrest. I find myself heading out into the Forrest at least 3 times a week. Sometimes for an hour sometimes all day. If my hike is going to be a "walk" I take a fanny pack with basics. If I'm heading out the door for a while I grab my backpack which is more extensively loaded.
Fist of all, I figure I'm keeping in shape by carrying the weight, and secondly, I like the options to make a hot cup of coffee, lay back and enjoy the view, tie a tarp for sun in summer or the that unanticipated rain, etc. On occasions I've had to deal with mosquitos in summer and snow in winter.
So, I'd like to get a new tent. But, can I get a tent for summer and winter, sun and snow. One that I can use to escape Mosquitos ?
I was thinking of the anjan by hilleberg. And also getting the optional mesh inner tent. My thoughts are that I could use the fly alone. Mesh alone or both together.... In winter take the regular inner and then have the same options up to an including snow. Furthermore it's pretty light.
I know it's pricey but it should last many years and I'm thinking it would be very flexible for a variety of situations.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM
Backpack: ULA Catalyst
Sleeping Gear: HammockGear Quilts
Shelter: Hammocks

Price per use

To me it makes sense to pay more for something that you really like. If you sleep out 2-3 times/month more than you would if you bought a lesser priced tent, the cost per use quickly equalizes.

Good Luck
Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

If you're planning on going out more than a couple times a season a more expensive tent has a better chance of keeping up. The investment taken over the lifetime is more than worth it.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

+1 to OCDave and Dsuursoo's comments on cost and durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endomaster
...I figure I'm keeping in shape by carrying the weight, and secondly, I like the options to make a hot cup of coffee... So, I'd like to get a new tent. But, can I get a tent for summer and winter, sun and snow. One that I can use to escape Mosquitos ?
I was thinking of the anjan by hilleberg...
Seems to me you aren't focusing on ultralight packing, mabye not even lightweight packing. Maybe medium-to-heavy loads? For years, I carried anywhere between 65 and 80lbs as my standard loadout, and in those days I always carried a high quality 3 1/2 or 4 season tent. It added 6 ot 8 lbs to my load, but in those days, I genuinely did not care about that.

You can definitely find a single tent you can use all year round by choosing to carry a good 4 season one. I always thought it was a great comfort knowing I had a shelter that could handle anything nature threw at it.

I don't have personal experience with a Hilleberg, but they come very highly recommended. I've seen lots of references to solo hikers using them and loving them. I'm sure if you can scrape together the pennies for a Hilleberg, it will suit your needs really well.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Shelter: Tarp

The Hilleberg Anjan is marketed as a 3 season tent, so wouldn't meet your criteria for either winter or snow. Also, the review I read criticized its ability to do well in prolonged or heavy rain due to the gap below the rainfly being large enough to allow splash to reach the inner tent above the lower waterproof sidewalls. The reviewer actually experienced wet gear from leaks of the vestibule zipper and "wet out" of the inner tent.

It seems like the MSR Carbon Reflex is in a similar category as far as weight and flexibility in using inner tent or rain fly separately, and I can personally testify as to its durability in very high winds and/or heavy rainfall, as that is what my friend used on last Fall's hunting trip, which performed perfectly in those circumstances.

Then again, I used a tarp and also survived , once I got around to pitching it in "storm mode". But of course his MSR tent was up in a few minutes, while I spent a lot of time with extra guy lines, stakes, ridge pullouts, etc. that he didn't have to bother with, so I've been coveting his tent ever since. Pretty pricey tho.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Last week was a good example. 3 inches of snow one night in May...
It melted quick, but my confusion is what type of tent would I have been smart to pack had I gone out for a couple of days ?