Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Sleeping Bag for Appalachian Trail Thruhike

What was the temp rating for the sleeping bag/bags you used for your AT thru? I have a 0* TNF sleeping bag and was going to use that for the first few months (March start). It's probably overkill but I don't want to buy more than I need.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Late Starter

Last year I attempted a thru hike and intentionally started April 30th to avoid the "Tru-hiker bubble". The temps in Georgia where unseasonably cold for that time of year with day time temps in the 40s and night time temps in the 20s. Two years ago my son thru-hiked the entire trail and started on March 1st with day time temps in the 30s and night time temps in the teens with plenty of hard going through snow from Georgia and especially the Smokies with several feet of snow.
A twenty degree bag is standard for an early start. But I was using an old down bag that I picked up at a thrift store for $2 and would say was good to about 35 or 40 degrees and I did suffered some cold damp nights before hitting Hot Springs.
Buy late June I was using a 50 degree fleece bag and that was good for summer use in the mountains of VA at that time. I had to get off the Trail near Dalesville in late July because of a stress fracture in my knee.
Because, you'll be starting much earlier than I did you'll be much further north during the summer months and a 40 degree summer bag might be adequate for those conditions. By the time you reach Hanover NH you should switch back to your 20 degree bag and warmer winter clothing BEFORE you get to the Whites.
The conditions on the AT especially in spring and summer are damp and you should consider taking a synthetic bag unless you know how the keep down dry or weight and bulk is critical to you.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

What bag did you end up using? I think I am going to hike the trail next year!

Dan Randazzo