Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Shelter: Tarp

ContainsImages The North Face Eclipse tarp / tent

I noticed this new single wall floorless tarp/tent on the market, just after reading the thread about the BA Fly Creek Platinum 2 tent, and seeing my friend’s MSR Carbon Reflex tent. I had just started thinking about a dome shaped tarp held up with one or two flexible poles so as to achieve some center height without losing floor space to a center pole, and without having to have large openings at one or both ends. In other words, lots of floor space and ceiling height without a tarp’s typical exposure to wind and rain.

The cost of the above two tents is pretty off-putting, but The North Face Eclipse Tent sells for $170, which is tempting. When the end-of-season sales had it going for only $118, my restraint collapsed and I thought it would at least be a fun experiment, so here it is.

Specs:
Dimensions-
Length - 96 inches
Width - 70 inches
Center height – 46 inches
Floor space – 38 sq ft

Weight-
Body and guy lines – 24.5 oz
Single pole – 6.5 oz
8 DAC v-stakes - 3.2 oz
Carry sacks – 1.4 oz

Setup is simple – thread the long shock-corded pole through the ridge sleeve and insert each pole end into a grommet. Stand it up and stake out front and back sides using 4 stakes, and it’s stable enough to sleep in. For security from wind, use the two included guy lines to stake out two loops on the ridge line. Other stakes can be used at the mid points of the front and back panels.

NICE FEATURES:

1. The awning style door gives the open feel of a tarp. Also, it’s nice to not have to figure out which end to place down wind, or which direction to put my head, as there are many door options.

2. A good-sized vent at the top of the back side should minimize condensation.

OTHER NOTES:

1. It was difficult to insert the final pole end into its grommet, but I got it done. I’m thinking (hoping) it will loosen up over time. Or I’ll learn how to finesse it in.

2. I added two MSR groundhog stakes for added security in windy conditions. I can think of a good use for ten total stakes – the above-mentioned four, plus loops at each end of the ridge pole, plus the two mentioned ridge guy lines, plus the mid points of front and back panels.

3. The ridge height is taller than both the BA and MSR tents (46 inches vs 38 and 40 inches).

4. As a tarp user, I’ll probably pitch it in full open mode as a default. It will be easy to pull the door over the ridge and zip it down if wind and/or rain threaten.

4. The fly weighs 10.5 oz more than my 8x10 tarp, and the pole add another 6.5 oz, adding just over a pound to my pack weight. BUT – I won’t have to be as dependent on finding poles or trees to pitch my tarp, and the Eclipse can go from open mode to full storm mode WITHOUT HAVING TO REPITCH THE WHOLE DANG THING FROM SCRATCH!!!

I think this thing may ruin me as a “tarp user” (to be continued).

Last edited by richwads : 12-29-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

That looks awesome, and the price is attractive. It really does seem like a great compromise between a tent and tarp, and the way that side is designed to open up in multiple ways is really nice. I was recently thinking about a way to use just the fly of my tent with the aluminum poles to cut a couple pounds from it when the weather is nice and bugs aren't a problem. Thanks for the great write-up.

Last edited by FirstRWD : 01-11-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:23 AM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I like the shape, space, and coverage of your shelter, richwads.

While I prefer the versatility of a flat tarp, over a fixed-shape fly, the coverage of The North Face Eclipse Tent and similar is definitely enticing. [Not to start an issue here, but this shelter makes much more sense to me than pyramid/*mid designs.]

By the way, what will you be using with it for bug protection during bug season, if you use it then.

Thanks for sharing the pics and commentary, richwads. I'll be looking forward to any ongoing posts that you have to share.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

NF Eclipse tent

I just bought the last one of these that I could find for $100. It doesn't appear that North Face manufacturers these tents any longer. I could not find any comments about this tent other than this post on the internet.. I also bought the bottom that goes with it.
Sponsored links