Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

How do you feel about the standard 20" sleep pad width?

I've looked at quite a few inflatable sleep pads and all of the wider ones seem to also be longer. I'm going to be using a quilt and I tend to move around when I sleep and sometimes I sleep on my side with my knees bent, so I think I'll end up with my knees or feet off of a standard 20" pad since it's barely wider than my shoulders.

Have some of you found that you could use more room or am I over-thinking the whole thing? Does anyone know of any decent inflatable pads that come in a wider size, but still the normal length?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: ULA Catalyst
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Helium/Atom
Shelter: Tarptent Rainbow

I too am a side sleeper and actually think pad width is less important for us than for back sleepers. On my side, it just doesn't matter if knees or feet hang off the pad a little; they don't go down and touch the ground, so the bag fluffs underneath and everything stays warm. On my back (which I could do when I was young), it's the arms that are a problem. 20" just isn't enough to keep the arms from falling down to the cold ground and/or going to sleep (in a bad way).

I'm talking about something as thick as an air mattress, not a CCF.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

There is a 25" width NeoAir, which is also longer than most pads. You can do a search for videos and web pages that tell you how to shorten a NeoAir pad. I would say that procedure is not for the faint of heart (or wallet).
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I alternate between the back and side sleeping. (I think that's also called "restless sleeper.") I myself am also a little wider than I should be. I find a 20" mat is fine unless I park on a slope - in which case, nothing is quite wide enough to keep me from sliding off my mat. But I don't think you're really asking about camp site choices. For me (when I choose well) 20" is wide enough.

Thickness is another matter. I used to do fine with the 3/4" Thermarest pads. Now I won't try to do without my 1.5" mat.

I do use a sleeping bag, not a quilt. Maybe that helps me with the 20" width. I wonder if others find they need wider pads when they use a quilt as opposed to a sleeping bag?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Backpack: Granite Gear Leopard 58 AC KI or Deuter Aircontact 50L
Sleeping Gear: Thermarest NeoLite XL womens, Big Agnes Roxy Ann
Shelter: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

I'm about the size of a hobbit (5'3") and even I used to gravitate off a 20" pad. I ended up with a Big Agnes bag with a sleeve on bottom in which the pad is held captive. Now's it's virtually impossible to get off the pad. It's ingenious.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Backpack: Golite Jam
Sleeping Gear: Golite quilt
Shelter: SMD Gatewood Cape

I was actually going to start a similar thread! I guess my question about whether 20" is wide enough for most folks is on others' minds, as well.

Now that I've started using a quilt, my elbows fall off the pad onto the ground when I lay on my back. I think that when I was in a bag, it held me in a bit.

Still, I don't think I'm wider than normal, but is 20" wide enough for most others for sleeping on your back?

I was going to run over to the local REI and see if they have a Klymit Static V that I can lay on, as they're supposed to be 23" wide, but the usual 72" length. If it fits, I'll search up the insulated version, though.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks for posting up a wider pad option. I'll have to look into that one. Let us know what you think if you end up on one. The price certainly looks better than all the $150+ pads people usually recommend.

Last edited by FirstRWD : 11-08-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 AM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRWD
Have some of you found that you could use more room or am I over-thinking the whole thing?
Over the years, I've wanted more 'room' in tents, sleeping bags, and on mats.

Many things have become smaller to save weight. The grand compromise that we all have to set for ourselves has to do with weight and comfort.

There have been times that I would have liked my mat to be wider (than 20"), but I'm mostly a side-sleeper when on the ground - so it's not too much of an issue.

I've used my nearly empty pack to supplement a short (length) mat to keep my lower legs/feet off the ground, but haven't used it (or anything else) to make up for a lack of mat width.

Reality
Old 11-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i'm a broad-framed sort of fellow(my shoulders overhang 20" pads by an inch and a little more on each side). i'm eyeing the trail scout(thermarest) in a long as my next pad. sure, it's going to be longer but the extra five inches will be nice. it'll also come in nice if i throw the pad in the hammock. 20" in that scenario is really narrow, and in a hammock at least i toss and turn.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Dsuursoo, I think I might end up going with a long pad just for the width too. Maybe there will be a convenient way to use the extra length at the top end, and fold it down to make a raised pillow area or something.

Good sleep is one area I just don't want to compromise too much. It makes a noticeable difference for me the next day.