Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills The Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to ancient and/or primitive style bushcraft/wilderness skills (e.g. firecraft, foraging, natural material construction, modern/primitive tools, long-term wilderness survival,...).

Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

What would you recommend as a "starter" knife?

I'm looking for a knife to start learning some general bushcraft type knife use(excluding processing game for now). I'd like to keep on the lower end of the price scale with my first knife until I get more of a feel of what I'd like in a knife, and gain some experience and have less chance of screwing up the blade, etc. I'm going for $25-$40 range. One that I came across that seemed like it might be good and has good reviews is the Condor Bushlore. Does that seem like a good starting point, or do any of you have suggestions for knives that you feel would be better?

Also, I'm going to need to learn to keep it sharp, so if anyone has any suggestions on a Whetstone or other sharpener that you feel would be better for not too much money, I'm completely open to suggestions. So far I was looking at a Japanese Professional Knife Sharpening Stone Sharpener.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

This is reposted from an earlier post of mine.
I fancy the Mora Knives.
They have dozens of carbon, MG carbon. and stainless blades with a fairly
ergo-grip design of rubber and thermoplastic handles. Carbon will be easier to keep an edge though. The latest one to grab
me was the Mora Robust Carbon. 1/8th" thick carbon blade & spine is ground
flat. Good for striking against a ferro rod. Another that has
caught the public fancy is the Mora Bushcraft Black. These have a little longer carbon blade with a coating. But market demand has pushed this latter up to
around $34-$40. This brings me to a main point. The Robust is still a $14 knife. At this price, I order 2 or 3 at a time. If one is lost or stolen ... no crocodile tears. Anyway, that's me ... no knife expert, just like simple quality equipment
at a reasonable price.
Peace
Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

The Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival Knife is a decent place to start that typically sits in the middle of your price-range. well rated, high-carbon steel, no frills.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I had seen the Schrade, but I'm thinking about it more again. I am a bit uncertain about the blade shape and learning to sharpen. Would you just use the edge of the whetstone to sharpen, or are there curved stones that you would use? I can't seem to find any info about sharpening a blade with that shape.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRWD
Thanks for the suggestions. I had seen the Schrade, but I'm thinking about it more again. I am a bit uncertain about the blade shape and learning to sharpen. Would you just use the edge of the whetstone to sharpen, or are there curved stones that you would use? I can't seem to find any info about sharpening a blade with that shape.

for sharpening it, definitely a narrow stone. or, alternately, something like a smith's pocket pal, which comes with carbide for aggressive sharpening, ceramic for finer sharpening/honing, and a diamond hone rod that you would use similar to a cutlery steel rod.

something like a pocket pal is a no-fuss way to sharpen, especially in the field. if you're really hardcore about a knife you can hone, and learning how to use whetstones, i'd also recommend picking up a basic buck knife and then a set of arkansas stones. it's not a bad skill to have, really.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Thanks again for the help. I'm still not sure if the Schrade is more knife than I need(still figuring out my personal needs from a knife), but at least now I'll feel like it's something I can purchase and learn to sharpen and maintain a blade if I want to go that route. It could be fun to take my small knife and hatchet on some trips, and then just the big Schrade on others, and learn and see the differences of the two approaches.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

If you want a starter knife with a low price, I'd have to suggest a Mora knife too. When you upgrade, it will still be a nice knife to have around. The Condor Bushlore that you mentioned looks OK too.

I've seen the Mora Bushcraft Black and it does look nice (in comparison to other Mora models), but if I were going to pay that much, I'd buy something with a full tang. I know that it's still a good knife with a 3/4 tang, but nevertheless I'd opt for something else at that price or a little more.

By the way, that Smith's Pocket Pal sharpener that dsuursoo mentioned works good as a cheap, basic sharpener. There's also a Smith's Pocket Pal X2 which adds "a fire starter, compass, LED light, and survival whistle."

Reality
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Backpack: Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Sleeping Gear: BA Q-Core SL, WM Versalite
Shelter: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

+1 on the Mora. They are inexpensive and good quality.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions of the a Mora. I've read many times that they're great for the money. I just have an aversion to those big plastic handles. And I don't like the sheaths, so I'd also want to make a decent sheath for it. Just not really the knives for me. I was actually even thinking that if I went with the Schrade that maybe making some wooden scales for it would be one of the first tasks on the list to develop my carving skills. Maybe I'll end up with the Condor and the Schrade after a few months.

That Pocket Pal X2 looks like it would just be a nice small addition to keep in my pack. I think I'll probably grab one of those. Thanks.

Last edited by FirstRWD : 08-30-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

FirstRWD, I follow your line of thinking and feel you're off to a great start.

Reality