Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backpacker's Health & Safety
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacker's Health & Safety The Backpacker's Health & Safety forum is for the discussion of health and safety/survival issues that directly relate to backpackers.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

ContainsImages Sports / Athletic Tape

For years I've used athletic tape to wrap up for physical training.

I also prefer this same tape (certainly over duct tape) for hotspot/blister prevention. I tend to only use it when I have to (regretfully) do a lot of road walking in high temperatures.

I will usually wrap up prior to the event and also carry some extra from the roll (leaving the bulk behind).

In the past, white or black sports tape is all that I would see in stores. However, recently, I noticed that one of the local sports chains is carrying it in many different colors. Albeit completely unnecessary, I opted for the black digital pattern seen above. It has nice stretch that's better than others I've used.

Do you every use athletic tape [not duct tape or other types] on your hiking trips?

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I have a couple of rolls of athletic/strapping tape about 50 mm wide (length unknown, as they "came into my possesion" rather than me having to go and buy them at the time) in my first aid storeage crate here, that I can take smaller lengths off to put into first aid kits, wrap around any poles or sticks that get in my way, and I'm also thinking I could use it for any hiking/travel/camping purpose that people might have specified for duct tape, electrical tape or surgical tapes...

Like with bandanas and mason's twine, this will be yet another of those simple and single items with a multitude of possible uses..

There's a lighter weight cloth tape in a cream/off white colour, and a regular weight one in a tan/flesh colour..
Old 06-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
For years I've used athletic tape to wrap up for physical training.

I also prefer this same tape (certainly over duct tape) for hotspot/blister prevention. I tend to only use it when I have to (regretfully) do a lot of road walking in high temperatures.
But wait! Before we talk about other uses, why do you like it better than duct tape? Does it adhere more reliably? Or maybe come off with less trouble later? Is it more breathable? I've used duct tape for blister prevention, but it definitely has down sides. Just wondering if I'm missing something in not using this stuff instead...
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGervin
But wait! Before we talk about other uses, why do you like it better than duct tape? Does it adhere more reliably? Or maybe come off with less trouble later? Is it more breathable? I've used duct tape for blister prevention, but it definitely has down sides.

I believe it's more suited for blister prevention than duct tape, and it's easier to remove - without leaving a gummy residue.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the pros and cons of duct tape, but you do raise a good and valid question.

In short, whatever "uses" duct tape would likely serve for me, I have what I consider a sufficient or better alternative on hand (which collectively are lighter). [For example, for shelter fabric/netting repair, I'd rather use something like Tenacious Tape or Tent Aid Type A Repair Patches.]

Reality
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

I also use sports tape, I used it a ton when I was rock climbing for my hands and I have both duct & sport tape on my trekking poles.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 PM

SSDD, thanks for bringing up climbing. That's a good application too.

Reality
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM

I like the tape, but don't find it as effective on preventing FOOT blisters as waterproof first aid tape. Athletic tape seems more prone to stick to the sock. That means the hotspot/blister, tape, and sock are all stuck together rubbing against the inside of the footwear. Slicker tape allows the hotspot/blister and tape to glide within the sock so that less friction and heat are transferred from the footwear through the sock. YMMV.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM

I completely understand what you're stating, Wayback. I've seen more than a few have trouble with athletic tape. It's all about how one puts in on (and/or it's suitability for a certain area on a particular individual). I remain a proponent of what works best for the individual.

I've walked tens of miles at a time, in high temperatures, and have not had it stick to a sock, roll up, or come off. However, for problematic areas, I tend to use more than a strip of it and instead wrap it.

I must say that blisters are not an on-going issue for me, so the athletic tape has sufficed. Maybe if I had more troubles with that sort of thing, I'd opt for something else. [Plenty of marathons have been run by those using it on their feet.]

Reality
Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayback
I like the tape, but don't find it as effective on preventing FOOT blisters as waterproof first aid tape. Athletic tape seems more prone to stick to the sock. That means the hotspot/blister, tape, and sock are all stuck together rubbing against the inside of the footwear. Slicker tape allows the hotspot/blister and tape to glide within the sock so that less friction and heat are transferred from the footwear through the sock. YMMV.

I usually have some first aid tape, and/or some blister patches in my first aid kit ~ so I can use them for a first layer; and only use strapping or cloth tape if the problem worsens... IF you get to a "hot spot" or a badly-rubbing area as soon as you feel it, then a piece of first aid, surgical or strapping tape - or even duct or repair tape - may just prevent the blister before it even starts..

For some reason I don't get blisters as much as I did when I was younger ~ whether my feet are tougher through going bare-footed (and wearing sandals or flip-flops/'thongs'..) for half my life; or because I'm wearing my shoes and boots a size larger these days..
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Thought I'd give my two cents as an ATC. We don't use athletic tape for blisters in any way. (eg. Ankle taping) The camo tape in the pic looks to be kinesio-tape. (Honestly, we don't even touch it) The tapes are for completely different uses, neither of which are blister care/prevention.

In athletics we encourage the use of a dab of Vaseline on those potential hot spots for those prone to blisters. The use of moleskin or duct tape is good for when blisters are forming. Yes they are super sticky, but you don't want friction, which is obviously how blisters start. For prevention, we use "cover roll stretch" on the spots that blisters frequent. It's thin, stretches in both directions and comes off easily at the end of the day without residue.

Once a blister forms and even opens, using second skin with the cover roll to hold it on works great for relief and allows continued activity.

The cover roll is very lightweight and a couple strips are nothing in a ziplock first aid kit. Same goes with just a few squares of the second skin.

HTH