Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills The Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to ancient and/or primitive style bushcraft/wilderness skills (e.g. firecraft, foraging, natural material construction, modern/primitive tools, long-term wilderness survival,...).

View Poll Results: If I could have only one, I'd choose
a saw 11 52.38%
a hatchet 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Saw vs Hatchet

If you could only have either a saw or a hatchet (small hand ax), which one would you choose for a long period of time [you define] in the forest?

I believe for many the choice is a hatchet, based on versatility. However, there are some (potential) benefits of a saw that might be overlooked: less weight, could be safer than swinging a hatchet, somewhat quieter, and in some cases it requires less energy to use.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Have you ever tried to split wood with a saw?

Actually, I use both and add a husky knife, too. It's not ultralight but a saw works better at cutting wood to length (for a stove, for instance) while a hatchet or axe is needed for splitting. For a base camp or when canoeing a full complement of tools is always useful in the bush.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Man, that's tough. A saw is more efficient and lighter, but long-term it dulls. A hatchet is easier to resharpen in the field, but potentially more dangerous to use.

I met some teens while backpacking,probably 8 miles from the closest trailhead. Their car was about 12 miles the other direction. One of them had some pieces of debris hit him in the eye while he was chopping with a hatchet. Fortunately he didn't have a serious injury.

Given how much Señor Murphy likes me, I vote saw.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Shelter: Tarp

I vote for a saw as long as I can still bring a batoning-worthy hunting knife. Something along the lines of a Buck Special.

I carried a hatchet for a while (Estwing at first, then a worthless back packing hatchet). The sven saw I finally got really let me cut some wood up efficiently - especially the dry hard 2" dia. branches that can't be chopped or broken and burn great!

But for the last 40 years I haven't spent a long enough time in the forest to need to pack in either the batoning knife or the saw. Tho I long to . But I digress - this thread is about saw vs. hatchet.

Of course I have all that stuff in my little SUV parked at the trailhead .
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
Have you ever tried to split wood with a saw?
Yes. I've done it successfully on a few occasions. If you're unfamiliar with the method, let me know and I'll post some info.

UPDATE/EDIT
: Here's an example (to save me time posting my similar example):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemeister
Man, that's tough. A saw is more efficient and lighter, but long-term it dulls. A hatchet is easier to resharpen in the field, but potentially more dangerous to use.
That's a great point, regarding the saw blades.

Reality
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i'd rather a hatchet, myself. one can break down wood to length with an axe-type tool very easily.

and it's deucedly hard to skin game with a saw.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
i
and it's deucedly hard to skin game with a saw.
I'd use a knife for that.

Reality
Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
I'd use a knife for that.

Reality

i would rather use a knife too, but if i didn't have a knife, a hatchet/axe/tomahawk IS a lot more versatile than a saw, and can actually do the tasks a knife can do(most of them).
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
i would rather use a knife too, but if i didn't have a knife, a hatchet/axe/tomahawk IS a lot more versatile than a saw, and can actually do the tasks a knife can do(most of them).
I agree. I'd rather skin with an ax than a saw.

This is just a choice between a saw and an axe, considering that other standard gear is carried.

It's likely that many will opt for the ax.

Reality
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

The possibility of splinters or chips getting into the eye is real. In my case it is a non-problem. My aging eyes need glasses so when I had mine made I went the whole 9 yards and got them progressive (lenses vary with distance) transitioning (automatically darken) and coated with triple-thick polycarbonate to serve as safety/shooting glasses.

While helping a friend clear some grape vines from a fence I made a mistake and had a vine tip whack me in the eye, scratching the inside of the lower lid. It took a rather miserable three days to heal. Fortunately, my friend was an RN/EMT who knew how to treat it. Had I been alone, and miles back it would have been a VERY serious problem. Avoid it if you can.

Yes, I do know how to split wood with a saw, but an axe is better - handled carefully.