Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear Workshop
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear Workshop The Gear Workshop forum is for the discussion of homemade backpacking gear, gear modifications, and repairs.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Alcohol Coleman-like stove?

Sooo... an idea popped into my head the other day...

Alcohol stove(s) designed after the Coleman two burner-like stove (y'know, the 10 lb. beasts that run on propane tanks and are common car camping companions).

Basically, just two little alky stoves with an oversized pot support that covers two stoves at once and lets you put a couple pots on to boil at once. Primarily, this idea came to be after thinking about a trek around Rainier planned for later this summer. There'll be three of us, so lots of water will need to be boiled.

I know alcohol stoves are kind of a solo to two-person type thing, but I dunno... I think this one might have legs (no pun intended) if I can work out the logistics and/or the stability of the support.

So far, the "best" idea for a support that would handle two 1 qt pots of water is something along the lines of a six-legged accordian that collapses down, yet provides X-shaped supports over the burners.

Just thought I'd toss the idea out there and see what ya'll had to say...
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I think two separate pot stands and stoves would be better and more versatile. My stove/windsceen/support only weighs 2 oz anyway, so you'd be up to a whopping 4 oz. for two. The only thing that'd add up is fuel weight. Depending on how many people, how cold it is, how much you have to boil, etc, other options may be more weight efficient.

This past weekend I had to cook two things at once and used two stoves at the same time, but then I can also pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 PM

I just cant figure out a way that you will be dropping meaningful weight. If you save 3 ounces, that is 1 ounce per person...a lot of effort for minimal gain.

Having said that, your idea got me a thinkin how cool it would be if you could have some kind of post hole digger gadget that could core a nice hole in the ground...create a few slots for ventilation then, insert the stove and place the pot on top of the ground...replace the divot when done...now that would be the ultimate pot stand! (Yeah I highly doubt it would work well) Pass the munchies.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Well, the alternative setup I have now weighs 23 oz. without fuel and just one pot.

I was thinking 2 oz. per stove, 5 oz. or so for the pot supports & windscreens, and anoter 12 oz. for the two 1.3 L pots...

So that's 21 oz. for two stove setups and two pots (half the boiling time)... compared to 23 oz. for one stove setup and a single pot.

Went to Lowe's last night and looked around for materials/ideas. Saw some metal "grid" stuff that might work well for the top of the pot supoort with a different design... dunno... just bouncing an idea around, I guess. But, yes, two separate pot supports/stands would be more versatile... I think I was just amused with the idea of having a UL "grill" like setup.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 PM

Well, an UL grilling grate would make for a great frame sheet.

One other idea: wire coat hangers laid on top of rocks with the alcohol stoves underneath.

Last edited by gussomer : 06-22-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I've used a couple of cheapy cookie cooling racks for a sort of "grill grate" and it worked great!! There are different thicknessness of metal....

One is about 14" x 10" and weighs 4.5 ounces
The other is 10" square and weighs just over 3 ounces. 2 large-ish pots fit on there fine catty-corner..............

Perkolady
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM

Back in my scout days Boy's Life had a project to make a 2-burner stove for use with Sterno out of a gallon can. Essentially cut the side out, make a hardware cloth grate that wraps around top and sides with a wire hinge allowing the grate to lift and bolt on two open-top cans large enough to hold the Sterno can to the bottom. I'm surprised I remembered that - the article was printed more than 50 years ago.

I suppose you could adapt the idea. The larger can exterior acts as a windscreen.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
Back in my scout days Boy's Life had a project to make a 2-burner stove for use with Sterno out of a gallon can. Essentially cut the side out, make a hardware cloth grate that wraps around top and sides with a wire hinge allowing the grate to lift and bolt on two open-top cans large enough to hold the Sterno can to the bottom. I'm surprised I remembered that - the article was printed more than 50 years ago.

I suppose you could adapt the idea. The larger can exterior acts as a windscreen.

I made one of those when I was in my early teen's, back in the early '70s !!!

ONE thing I will add: if and when using alcohol ("Methylated spirits", in my case..), instead of either "Sterno cans", or maybe "Esbit" type dry fuel tablets ~ is that I found the two little pots leaked where they were bolted on, on mine ~ so a little bit of soldering might be required as well to make it leakproof, (or maybe a second smaller unfixed inner can/pot?), depending on how tight it ends up being around the bolt holes..

I never replaced this after it started rusting away, many years later. One good thing about these kinds of "knock-up" items is that they cost nothing, when all of the materials happen to be on hand in your garage or shed..

SO they nearly always start paying for themselves straight away...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM

You can still get folding two-burner Sterno stoves. These are pretty heavy but are very stable. For car camping or keeping around the house for emergencies they work well. The dual burner also works with a griddle.

Years ago I had a Gloy's CookPal two-burner alcohol stove. Each burner had a slide adjustable flame control. Not much weight saving, the thing was quite sturdy and heavy. It was also a bit slower to boil BUT it had the advantage of cheap fuel that wouldn't contaminate if spilled, simplicity (virtually nothing could go wrong) and was quiet - silent, actually. I used this for years and cooked many a meal on it for 6-8 people.

Like a lot of my old gear, what happened to it is lost in the mist of time - I probably gave it to someone.