Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills The Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to ancient and/or primitive style bushcraft/wilderness skills (e.g. firecraft, foraging, natural material construction, modern/primitive tools, long-term wilderness survival,...).

Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

Your Favorite Tool / Weapon

My favorite tool / weapon is the tomahawk.

I started using a US vietnam tomahawk back in the mid 90's and found out how useful they are in the Bush, chopping,slicing,throwing,hammering and so on. Now a friend showed me his CQC-T Tomahawk a couple of years ago and that thing is the best tomahawk I have ever held.

What is your favorite ??
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

My favorite tool that may function as a weapon is a knife.

Reality
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i'll second reality... the knife is probably one of the most versatile tools in regard to use as a weapon.

a tomahawk is really versatile, yes. powerful, yes. but for what i look to for a serious 'weapon' it's lacking a few things. there's no serious piercing ability(the spike on the back of some hawks has very limited versatility), they're a hacking tool only. you can't skin something with a hawk unless you take a lot of time.

they have their place, to be sure. but the knife has a lot of versatility. you can also make a spear from it if you need to.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 AM

I will refer to my various Khukris as TOOLS, although like all tools the can be used as a weapon, definition depends on intent,
Nothing wrong either with a nice SHARP spade, shovel or Pulaski
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

A tomahawk and knife in the hands of one skilled are formidable. My preferred tool/weapon is a knife. My favorite is whatever I have at hand when it is needed.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
there's no serious piercing ability(the spike on the back of some hawks has very limited versatility), they're a hacking tool only. you can't skin something with a hawk unless you take a lot of time.

they have their place, to be sure. but the knife has a lot of versatility. you can also make a spear from it if you need to.

True some have more of a hammer on one end, how ever search the CQC-T Tomahawk and then tell me how it lacks the abilty to pierce even a old US vietnam tomahawk style will pierce a skull.

As for skinning anyone using a edged tool/weapon in the bush will have a way to keep it sharp no matter if it is a knife or a hawk.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDD
True some have more of a hammer on one end, how ever search the CQC-T Tomahawk and then tell me how it lacks the abilty to pierce even a old US vietnam tomahawk style will pierce a skull.

aye, i'm familiar from first hand use with the cold steel version of the vietnam hawk(what's marketed as the close quarters combat model). sure, it'll pierce. it'll actually pierce very well on steel(thin), kevlar, and other forms of body armor. the dynamics are all wrong for the kind of piercing i'm talking about, which is stabbing. you won't be able to get that sort of angle on a hawk no matter how you hold it, without putting your own skin at serious risk. the spike on the back of an axe is just that, a spike. a knife can be stabbed and dragged, whereas a hawk just goes in and out. the main advantage of hawk over knife is in the realm of swing power, which is negated with a bigger knife(well, short sword... another long story about that...).

not to say the hawk doesn't have its utility. for a lot of chores, it'll do the trick. for a lot of hunting, it'll also do a lot of work. but for any taking of game... it's out of its league. a knife on the end of a stick will be more effective, you don't have to let go of it if you're good at sneaking up to within six feet. sure you can throw a hawk, but you risk losing it or breaking it, depending on the hawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDD
As for skinning anyone using a edged tool/weapon in the bush will have a way to keep it sharp no matter if it is a knife or a hawk.

having actually tried skinning with a couple of different axes, the current fad edge style in tomahawks of fully modern design is the wrong edge altogether. a curved edge gets the job done much faster, and much smoother.

but man, that cold steel tomahawk has some nice balance. i can see why you like it so much. very fast, very nimble.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

As far as a tool/weapon goes I would say my knife, mora 4 inch. Not exactly a combat knife, but it is very sharp, and I have used it to make a spear for fishing/gigging.

But as far as weapon goes.

1. Mace. Alway take it. I think it would give me enough of the upper hand in about any situation w/o firearms. Plus it is very light as compared to a...
2. Pistol. I do not call a non-hunting pistol a tool. If its not used to procure food, only for defense against crazies/bears, it's a weapon. Just IMO.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineerbass

2. Pistol. I do not call a non-hunting pistol a tool. If its not used to procure food, only for defense against crazies/bears, it's a weapon. Just IMO.

good point. i've used a 9mm to hunt small game, but it's not easy. with that said, in the deep wilds, say, alaska, you'd he hard pressed to see me going out for a hike without some kind of sidearm, either a .357 revolver or a .45ACP minimum.

neither is a 100% guarantee against a bear, or most other predators.

but the noise alone is tremendous and does half the job. the shower of dirt and gravel from right in front of their nose should do the rest. and both guns will usually stop a small to medium animal.