Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Brush Guns

since it's come up more than once, what are your favorite guns for hunting in brush?

lever-action seems like one of the more common favorites out there, but what about semi-automatic carbines and light rifles? or perhaps the trusty pump action?

pistols count too.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

For small game I carry either a .22 pistol (S&W 22A), .22 rifle (Savage Mark II bolt action), or 12-ga (Remington 870).

For backpacking I just carry the pistol.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Seeing as how our government has banned private use of self loaders, we are restricted to pump action or levers, most people here use the Remington pump gun in .35Whelen.
Generally I like the short carbine length of the pump gun.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM

pump actions are remarkably fast on the cycle and very natural to use. there's no taking the hands off the trigger/action area of the gun, indeed, nothing more than a natural pulling action with the supporting hand, then a push, and you're done.

i've seen a lot of folks cycle pump-actions nearly as fast as auto-loaders.

lever guns can be quick, especially in the shorter pistol chamberings, because the movement of the actions is very short.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

For deer and sometimes even turkey;
I like the 30-30, I have a Marlin lever action and Savage bolt-action. The only one I ever use is the trusty old Savage bolt, originally purchased by my great grandfather and passed down the line to me. Iron sights, and I can put a .5" moa at 100 yards, not because I'm a great shot, but because I know the rifle so well.
I find that I really don't need to take more then one shot, so quick is not a concern.

That being said once my son get's a little older, he gets the savage, and I'm going to buy a .44 mag. Ruger Redhawk.

As a brush gun for small game (usually just squirrels, rabbit and upland birds)

1. I have a .22lr High Standard "luger type" pistol with a 5.5" barrel.
2. Charles Daly 20 gauge/Mossberg 500 pump 12ga. Purchased the Daly last year and really like it. The 500's not an ideal hunting rifle, but it's a workhorse and it's taken it's fair share of ducks/geese.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineerbass

1. I have a .22lr High Standard "luger type" pistol with a 5.5" barrel.
2. Charles Daly 20 gauge/Mossberg 500 pump 12ga. Purchased the Daly last year and really like it. The 500's not an ideal hunting rifle, but it's a workhorse and it's taken it's fair share of ducks/geese.

daly makes some great guns.

mossberg has a market penetration that i'm a little baffled over... must be price. i played with both mossbergs and the remington 870 while i was in the service, and the remington was the more solidly built gun... though mossberg was lighter, cheaper and had a safety that was easier to operate with a standard stock.

and aftermarket parts are cheaper for the mossberg, too.

and then i think that most civilians don't run a risk of their shotgun being run over by a truck(at least not regularly), nor are they going to have to use it to club things.

did you install a lighter firing pin in your mossberg? the factory ones can sometimes cause discharges if the gun is struck on its butt too hard.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
daly makes some great guns.

mossberg has a market penetration that i'm a little baffled over... must be price. i played with both mossbergs and the remington 870 while i was in the service, and the remington was the more solidly built gun... though mossberg was lighter, cheaper and had a safety that was easier to operate with a standard stock.

and aftermarket parts are cheaper for the mossberg, too.

and then i think that most civilians don't run a risk of their shotgun being run over by a truck(at least not regularly), nor are they going to have to use it to club things.

did you install a lighter firing pin in your mossberg? the factory ones can sometimes cause discharges if the gun is struck on its butt too hard.

I agree that the 870 is a more solid gun, more steel vs. Al. Though, I'm very happy with the 500 persuader. I actually like shooting the Mossberg better, ergonomics, the safety, and even the wght. when carrying. As far as actual performance goes, in my experience, almost no difference. I've put probably ~10,000 rounds through it in the 10 years I've had it and not a single issue with reliability or performance. Readily available after market parts, and easily interchangeable barrels(I have two). Factor in the better price of the 500... I bought it right out of High school, with little research, I just liked the price and I think I lucked out.

Don't get me wrong I like the 870, the'll both kill a wild turkey, but as you said I haven't had to club anyone with it, and I don't leave it in the road!

Yeah, the Daly has been a great little gun for upland birds, rabbits and squirrels. It breaks down easy enough and shoots great. However I heard a rumor that they are being bought out. Don't know by who or what that will lead to....
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineerbass

Yeah, the Daly has been a great little gun for upland birds, rabbits and squirrels. It breaks down easy enough and shoots great. However I heard a rumor that they are being bought out. Don't know by who or what that will lead to....

let's hope it's not like when the AR-7 was bought from armalite, and that quality stays up. i've noticed a few of the gun-makers are consolidating in recent years.

the persuader gets the job done, for sure. i looked into getting one when i moved to alaska, but held off for one reason or another. a few years later i got to do serious side by side work with the 500 and the 890, and decided i liked the 890 more.

has anyone tried using the pistol-caliber shotshells? i used them in most of the pistol cartridges i've used, and thought they were fun.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
has anyone tried using the pistol-caliber shotshells? i used them in most of the pistol cartridges i've used, and thought they were fun.

I've tried them in .357 mag. and .45 acp, you would have to be pretty darn close. I know they used to be used alot for snakes.

Have you seen the Taurus Judge , shoots a .410 and a .45. I don't know what kind of range it would have, but it's a pretty neat concept. I haven't shot one yet, but I heard the spread is surprisingly tight.

Quote:
let's hope it's not like when the AR-7 was bought from armalite, and that quality stays up. i've noticed a few of the gun-makers are consolidating in recent years.

Yeah, I've unfortunately seen this happen before. I'm not happy about it

But on a postive note, Benelli bought out Stoeger a 2-3 years back, and theres been a big improvement on quality. I eyeballed an over/under the other day, and the shop owner basically told me to wait a year or two, then buy a new one because they get a little better every year.

But then again that's Benelli.

Last edited by Mountaineerbass : 03-18-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Shelter: Tarp

As to brush RIFLES, one should consider a TC Contender carbine. I found it to be the fastest pointing, easiest carrying rifle in my experience. Not that I've had many, but my former favorite deer rifle for areas like coastal California was a model 94 .30-30 lever action until it got the carbine.
The Contender carbine's specs: Total weight - 4.5 lb, barrel length - 21 inches, overall length - 34 inches! due to the single shot break-open action.

It can be taken down to be packed and is available in composite stocks and stainless action and barrel, although mine was walnut and blued steel. The caliber I had was .357 maximum, which performed well but was finicky to handload to pressures that the TC action can easily handle - extraction was iffy, tho I understand later versions have remedied that.

I sold the barrel (I do still have a .22 barrel but have the Marlin Papoose now) and went back to handgun hunting with the Contender using a 10" .357 bull barrel and 2X scope. I wouldn't call this a brush gun, because it is very far from being quick pointing, and requires stalking to get to the 75 yard distance I consider doable.

If I went back to the carbine for deer hunting, I'd prob'ly get a .357 mag, which out of a 21" barrel has pretty good ballistics with a 180 gr bullet - not up to a .30-30, but better than a .44 mag out of a handgun, for example, which is considered a pretty good big game weapon. With a well-placed shot of course.