Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backpacker's Health & Safety
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacker's Health & Safety The Backpacker's Health & Safety forum is for the discussion of health and safety/survival issues that directly relate to backpackers.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: MYOG Cuben, Osprey Atmos 65 AG
Sleeping Gear: MYOG Down Quilt, Enlightened Equipment Accomplice
Shelter: SMD Deschutes CF Tarp, SMD Lunar Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogFiftyfive
I would add a couple of XL silicon condoms.

I think it is as small as it gets if you do not count the multi tool, but a small LED torch may fit the Emergency role a bit better than the Maglite, I have just replaced my little "Pelican Solo with a disposable LED headlite with a clip

Ah, I've seen the condoms suggested for water storage. Can't believe I didn't think to add those . Will do. I've been using the Maglite as my primary light only because I already had it. I've been wanting to get a Photon Freedom with the hat clip but a disposable one for the survival kit would be great. Any idea what brand it is and where you go it?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

if you're going to keep condoms for water storage, be sure to get unlubricated. the lubricant is food safe, but it tastes like, well... what you'd expect it to taste like.

also wise: take a large tube sock or two. you can put the condom in the sock, and it'll keep it safer, it won't simply break if you carry it by the sock instead of the end of the condom. it'll save you a LOT of frustration.

philman- your kit looks like one of the more complete ones i've seen here. nothing wrong there, though you can trade the maglite in for one of those little bitty LED numbers, which will trim you way down(better yet, get three. always have spares). also smart move on carrying around pre-shaved magnesium. having used the bars in tough conditions... it's far better to have it pre-done.

my own kit... woof. it's hefty. it's more of a survival pack. i've made the first changes to it in a couple years recently, adding an alcohol stove and a flask of 190 proof everclear. the weight gain is a mere 9 oz, and i gain the ability to cook/boil if i'm above the treeline or stuck in a drenched winter wonderland. i'm contemplating removing some of the esbit fuel i carry, but not yet.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn_parker
Hi All
I have not seen a thread about Survival kits, so I am just wondering what others do?
Do you carry a purpose built, by yourself Survival kit? if so what are the contents? what does it weigh?
I have read Cody Lundin's book 98.6 the Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive and I have started to put together a kit suitable for my area and I'd like to hear from you guys.
Thanks
Gunn

I have carried the Doug Ritter/ AMK Pocket Survival Pack in a pants pocket ever since I got serious about camping and hiking. I added a little Photon light to this. And have my Leatherman in the other pocket. The Pocket Pack is 4.5 oz. and will float. My Leatherman knife is 3.5 oz. The Photon LED is less than .5 oz. if I remember right.

I carry this in this arrangement even if I am camping with all my other gear.

If I were just out day hiking I would carry the above items but also also carry an AMK Heatsheets Bivy, an MSR Titan Mug, and my platypus bladder in a day pack with some snacks and mosquito spray. I feel pretty comfy roughing it out at night in Florida with just those things.

Oh and my cell phone. If I was really hurt or something, I think in most places I am likely to be I am still able to text, a sos message.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
also wise: take a large tube sock or two.

I think of this but have never done it, nylon dress sox are very strong and very light-weight and would make a good alternative to the tube sock. Because I always use a bum-bag or ammo pouch on a belt for my kit i have never seen the need for a bag, but having read some other posts I think a couple of fine mesh mossie nets would be an excellent idea.
One net for your head and the other could be turned into a carry sac for those condoms in sox, if it's in your hand all the time it becomes difficult to walk and look for sign and food when concentrating on not dropping something
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM

out of curiosity, what are the weights of our various survival kits/packs?

mine clocks in at a hair over four pounds. but that includes:

fishing line, approx 150 feet.
eight treble hooks
sinker weights
bait
esbit stove+fuel
sierra cup
lighter
matches
char-cloth in watertight box.
steel wool
magnesium shavings
tinder packets
poncho(marine corps issue digicam)
approx 60 feet guy-line.
space blankets(3)
stakes(six)
platy bladder for water
cammilus pocket knife(US issue type)
scout firesteel
wire saw
compass
aluminum foil(heat reflector)
comfort package(tea, sugar, soup cubes, hard candies)
snare wire
first aid pack(vetbond, bandaids, razor blade, ointment)
alcohol stove+fuel flask
emergency candle
tea light lantern+spare lights
foraging pouch

some other items that are kicking around the bottom of the kit.

it's one of those '90% of terrestrial environments' sort of kit.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 PM

That Marine corp poncho must be really lite-weight.

I must get my complete kit and put it on the scales, but i think the big kit complete would come in at 3Kilograms , not including big knife or army water-bottle/cup/stove etc
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

The niftiest thing I have in my survival kit is a little plastic-disk compass. It's designed to float in the palm of the hand--and if you're not totally dehydrated, you can even use your own urine!

This disk-compass is about 3/8's of an inch wide and 1/64th thick, as it's set into a credit-card-sized card (and appears easily removable).

This card came with a set of "Survival Cards". I've lost track of the rest, so at the moment I have no more details on the set.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:42 PM

haclil- neat. gross, but neat. i'll stick with my silva map compass though.

yeah, the poncho is shockingly lightweight. maybe three or four ounces. a massive improvement on the vietnam era ones. also astoundingly durable, i've taken both of mine(one desert, one woodland) through various sorts of hell, and they came out fine.

sure, the pattern blends right in with the scenery around here, which can be a bad thing, but that's why i carry mylar. it's nice and visible.

Last edited by dsuursoo : 09-17-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM

In my hunting pack I have one of those Swiss Alpenflage ponchos; Very durable very very waterproof but it weighs 1200 gms, but it is the only poncho I have come across that allows the user to carry a rifle and still be protected from the rain, how big is the USMC raincover?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM

about 60" by 84". 9 ounces weight(about a quarter kilo or so). some sort of special fabric. strong enough that with a few branches, some parachute cord and ducttape, two ponchos can be made into a canoe.

which frankly, boggles the mind. yes it will hold two men. yes, it is perfectly water-worthy. yes, it was done in fifteen minutes.

i've used mine as everything from rain clothing to sniper hide(suprisingly effective when combined with a space blanket underneath to defeat thermal scanning) to ground cloth to tent(yes, one will function as a tent, though the design intends for two, and i mean a real honest to goodness tent, a wedge big enough for one person). i once considered rigging it as a canoe sail(either like the vikings used them or as a lateen sail) during a particularly tough transit.

so thusly: i carry it in my survival kit. it's worth the extra half pound. it goes with me in my roving kit when i hunt, as it can become a sleeping bag shell(i use my wool cloak as a blanket inside), unless the weather turns, in which case it becomes a lean-to unless the weather turns really ugly and then it becomes microtent.

it was well worth the trouble of 'losing' it.