Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Travel Backpacking
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Travel Backpacking The Travel Backpacking forum is for discussion that relates directly to international backpacking (also known as independent travel). Subject matter should involve the elements that comprise this type of backpacking: budgeting, cultural tips, backpacking gear, hostels, and transportation.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Question Jackets / Coats for Cold / Humid Climate

Dear Friends,

I will be traveling to the south of france soon for a 3 month or longer stay.

I have been told that the climate is cold and the humidity is very high, avg temps in the coldest months are in the lower 30's F.

I will be staying at a monastery where the heat and insulation of the buildings is pretty poor.

I have been getting some very warm gear, but my question has to do with the down jackets I got and should I actually get synthetic because the long term humidity might just render the down jackets useless.

I got a Patagonia Pipe Down and a Patagonia Down Sweater Hoodie

I am also bringing several capeline and merino wool baselayers.

So will I be ok with down jackets in the humidity? or should I exchange for some synthetics. (I have arrived at this question after researching synthetic vs down sleeping bags)

Thanks so much for reading this and letting me know your thoughts.

Peace
Red
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

although it is my plan to one day have experience with living in the south of France, I cannot yet comment directly on that. i can offer my experience living in a very humid climate and how it relates to the cold.
as you probably know, humidity makes the cold feel much, much colder, the kind of cold that can seep into your bones and make you ache.
i like the stuff sometimes called monkey fur- it's a fake synthetic 'fur' that you can find on lots of items right now. get it to wear near your skin and it helps trap additional air. performance underwear and socks or, my favorite, Wright socks brand (has the wicking layer built into the sock) all help keep the moisture away. mountain hardware and some REI brand items have this monkey fur. also lots of fleece and wool
i don't think the down jackets will be such a problem as an outer layer.
yippikiyo
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I too live in a very humid region and have no problems with my down garments. I just do not wear them during strenuous activity when I am prone to sweat heavily. This is when layering will help. The down is mainly used while in camp or or on stand when I am not moving around very much.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Down jackets, in general, have come a long way since their introduction years ago. The quality of the down has increased and the fabrics have become more water resistant (...). In short, they can perform better in humid weather these days.

I like the comfort and warmth that a down jacket provides, but my personal use-range is quite narrow. I tend to use them in dry and very cold weather.

And I'd be more likely to use a down jacket for travel backpacking than for wilderness backpacking. Primarily due to the fact that I prefer that my insulation/clothing (jacket) be able to function for supplemental warmth in my sleeping bag/quilt (if and when needed).

Therefore I choose to use a jacket with synthetic insulation, so that it can be used (more efficiently) when lying in my bag. Down significantly loses its insulating qualities when it is compressed (e.g. from body weight).

So that's some food for thought.

Reality
Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Long ago I worked some good stretches of late autumn in cold, damp coastal areas of the UK. Heat and hot water were available only at certain times of the day, usually when I was out. A couple big Aran sweaters kept me warm and happy. They're heavy and not too practical on the trail, but probably about right for a drafty old monastery.