Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I'm also going to be trying the dog/hammock combo this summer. My dog has always LOVED the tent - she's a bit timid, and is afraid of campfires, so "hiding" in what must have been to her the perfect dog den was just what the doctor ordered. I'm hoping by getting my tarp pretty close to the ground and giving her a familiar sleeping surface (she's come to love a piece of z-rest I use as a sitpad), she'll be comfortable enough just sleeping under me. It'll be warm, and I'm already coming up with ways she can help compensate for the extra weight of her bed (she already carries her own food and water).

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i've considered this, the going with a dog, and i do have a hammock tent somewhere, so this is pertinent to my interests.

but knowing my luck, i'll have the same thing that happened to my father happen to me, and get a total coward of a dog.

don't get me wrong, my father's dog is a lovable klutz of a german shepard... but bravery is not her thing. bears get into the blueberries, and when told to 'go scare em' she'll nose the floodlights outside the house on(lord only knows how she learned this), bark once, then go hide next to the chest freezer for the rest of the night.

if i did the belt-rope-collar connection as someone else suggested in this thread... i could wind up halfway back down the trail, wrapped in my hammock still, before i could get things sorted and stopped.

but the small tarp/shelter, carried by the dog... that's brilliant. can he carry some of his own food, too? a dog-sized shelter wouldn't weigh that much...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

Not a hammocker myself , but a good friend of mine took a coughlins tube tent, cut it to a much smaller size, and strings it under his hammock, or nearby for his dog. He then throws a piece of an old down vest in it for bedding. The dog carries the shelter and cord, but he carries the down (worries about the dog getting it wet) This is for a ~70lb. lab.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

That's brilliant! I might have to steal elements of that idea! I found some very cheap (.45 cents per yard) water resistant nylon at the fabric store the other day... A tube tent would be super easy!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

This has been one major hangup for me against getting a hammock. I think I'd sleep better in one, but dealing with the dog sleeping would be a challenge. Personally, I would lean towards giving the dog a piece of tyvek to sleep on with some kind of sheet or blanket to cuddle up with for comfort. It would have to be something the dog uses at home, I think, because it would be a familiar sleeping spot and make the dog relax a bit. I wouldn't do it in an area with large predators, as I would leash the dog to prevent it chasing small wildlife and deer, but would create a problem were a bear, mt lion, or wolf would wander near enough to smell the dog. In that case, I'd probably board the dog somewhere for the duration of the trip.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I hammock camp with my two dogs (lab & collie mix) and they both sleep on pieces of blue wal-mart pad on the ground directly under the tarp. I can't see there is any need to have a larger tarp as they fit under the one I have (Warbonnet Superfly) just fine.

I do tether them to the trees with "tree safe" tie outs, mainly because I'd worry about them getting up and leaving in the night. They normally just stay put all night. I have gotten up in the morning and they get all excited and sometimes get tangled in my tarps lines but it's never been a probelm when I'm in the hammock.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

My dog, Dakoda, sleeps in the hammock with me. Luckily she is only 15 lbs. If she feels the need for more space, she will sleep under the hammock. I usually put a shirt beneath the hammock that she can lie on for warmth. The hammock also makes a great hang-out spot for her during the day.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Osprey Aether 60
Sleeping Gear: Leigh Lo Quilts
Shelter: Hammocks/Gargoyle Tarp

I just started taking my Heeler around with me, and she likes sleeping in the hammock with me. And boy do I stay warm
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_in_FHAZ
it is an interesting and overlooked idea, in that you either allow your dog to sleep directly under your tarp (if using one) and hammock body, or you provide your dog with his own shelter, allowing the extra weight and volume required to carry such a shelter. I have used (and recommend) a mini-sized cat cut Hex-shaped tarp, just like one you might see over a hammock, just downsized for a pet. Many dog owners will outfit their best friend with a "dog pack" and the hex tarp I use fits easily inside. Your buddy can carry his own shelter!
of course, there is no commercially availble product like this that Im aware of, so it is a DIY project. see attachment (shown pitched high, but you get the idea of shape/coverage )

Interestingly, Mountain Laurel Design does make a "dog tarp" now (2012). 5' x 5', made of silnylon. Packs to about 2.5" x 6". Total weight (with stuff sack, and cord) is about 7oz. by my scale. Just in case anyone is looking to go this route, but doesn't want a DYI project. But the DYI idea is very cool, and gives you the cat cut if you want it.

I'll admit I don't hike with a dog. I bought mine as a cooking shelter for rain trips in bear territory (where I certainly won't cook under my sleeping shelter) and as a backup emergency tarp. But it will clearly do its intended job if you need a shelter for a dog.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

My dog a Greyhound/german shepard cross is getting a little old now for long hikes, but she has always slept under the hammock on a piece of thin Karrimat. I also leash her up as she tends to go wandering off and defending the camp from any wildlife that gets too close to the camp.

When I used to ground dwell she would lay at the side of me and if it got cold on top of me. Wow the heat they put out is amazing.

A hiking buddy has a Jack Russel which always sleeps in the Hammock with him.