Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Base Camp > Practical Backpacking™ Podcast
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Practical Backpacking™ Podcast This forum is for the exclusive discussion of Practical Backpacking™ Podcast (PBP) episodes. [NOTE: All posts in this area are manually processed -- they do not show automatically.]

View Poll Results: How do you listen to the Practical Backpacking™ Podcast?
I listen in my web browser (plugin). 38 20.32%
I manually download the podcast and listen with a media player or device. 81 43.32%
I subscribe via RSS/XML and listen with my iPod or other player. 39 20.86%
I listen in the iTunes directory. 26 13.90%
Other, I'll explain in this thread. 3 1.60%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2006, 11:34 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFoot
Manually d/l and burn to CD. Long commute + free CD's = less stressful drive. Of course, this only works on the way home. If I tried to listen to people talk about hiking on the way into work I would never make it to the office

Steve

What Swampfoot sez...I did have to tweak the Karen Berger interview as it was just too long for the CD's I have access to, but she doesn't sound like a chipmunk (more like a burly squirrel )

Remnant
Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant
What Swampfoot sez...I did have to tweak the Karen Berger interview as it was just too long for the CD's I have access to, but she doesn't sound like a chipmunk (more like a burly squirrel )

You must be changing the actual MP3 quality. I would just use software to split the MP3 in half - so that it retains the original quality.

Reality
Old 11-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

How do you listen to the PB Podcasts?

I finally (recently) learned what podcasts are. I listened to the 1st one on Itunes. Then I played around for a week and got all 17 downloaded.
Now I listen on the Ipod Nano. Now that I have subscribed so I should get more as they are ready.

I got the Ipod to learn bird songs. Still haven't found recordings with just the bird name and song. Now that I've found podcasts I got distracted away form learning about bird songs.

Keep up the good work.

Slosteppin
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 11-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

You don't have a choice for what I do (and what probably a lot of iPod owners do): I subscribe via iTunes and listen most often on my iPod (though occasionally directly on the computer via iTunes).

I suppose this could fit under the definition of your "RSS Reader" choice, but that doesn't quite capture it.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdarovye
You don't have a choice for what I do (and what probably a lot of iPod owners do): I subscribe via iTunes and listen most often on my iPod (though occasionally directly on the computer via iTunes).

I suppose this could fit under the definition of your "RSS Reader" choice, but that doesn't quite capture it.

To subscribe via iTunes is to use RSS/XML, as that is the protocol that iTunes used for subscriptions -- and that option includes iPod (in the poll). Or, I do list the iTunes directory too...

Reality
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
You must be changing the actual MP3 quality. I would just use software to split the MP3 in half - so that it retains the original quality.

Reality

Reality, that looks like a nifty piece of SW and I'll use it for some other things I have in mind, but my problem was I needed the whole interview on one CD so I just "sped it up" enough to get it on there.

Remnant
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant
Reality, that looks like a nifty piece of SW and I'll use it for some other things I have in mind, but my problem was I needed the whole interview on one CD so I just "sped it up" enough to get it on there.

Yes, I understand what you are doing. I just thought it would be better to put a larger episode on two CDs that to distort the sound. That's up to you.

Reality
Old 11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
To subscribe via iTunes is to use RSS/XML, as that is the protocol that iTunes used for subscriptions -- and that option includes iPod (in the poll). Or, I do list the iTunes directory too...

Reality

Yeah - I'm saying I use both; I subscribe via iTunes and listen both on the iPod as well as on my computer.

Not important - just giving you some extra information that wasn't accommodated by a "pick only one" choice.

Thanks much for the podcasts - they're quite enjoyable.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah - I'm saying I use both; I subscribe via iTunes and listen both on the iPod as well as on my computer.

I understand. However, if you listen via iTunes directly or on your iPod, it uses XML to faclitate the delivery. And the XML/iPod choice also includes any "other player" [which would be software (web/media player) or hardware (any MP3 device)].

Quote:
Not important - just giving you some extra information that wasn't accommodated by a "pick only one" choice.

Actually the last poll option covers any and all (e.g. "Other, I'll explain in the forum.").

Quote:
Thanks much for the podcasts - they're quite enjoyable.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you enjoy them.

Reality
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 11-07-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, I understand what you are doing. I just thought it would be better to put a larger episode on two CDs than to distort the sound. That's up to you.

Reality

I should mention how much I've enjoyed the podcasts, and tell you that they've made a difference in what I'm putting into (and taking out of) my pack. On the other hand, after listening to Brian's(1), then Jeff's(11), then Demetri's(16) interviews I'm really torn as to what pack to buy...I was looking at the Mariposa+, as it has the feature set I like, but I wish it was made out of dyneema instead of silnylon Ahh well, choices!

Remnant