Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Large Tent Recommendations (6 Person)

Hello all. I am looking for tent recommendations for a 6 person tent. Obviously for car camping so weight is not a problem. I found a Kelty Green River tent for a decent price but got thinking that those super long poles would be a pain when taking the tent down. Are there large tents that don't use pole sleeves? Thanks for any advice.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: ULA Catalyst
Shelter: Tarptent Rainshadow 2

Kelty Mantra 5 (5-person base camp tent)

I have a 5-person Kelty Mantra 5; excellent interior photos at *********. It's spacious for two adults and 10, 14 y.o. boys. Poles are long but shorter than taller dome tents. I chose Kelty Mantra because:
  • superior moisture management: low and high vents promote convection
    • rain fly vents: two vents at peak
    • inner tent mesh vents: two low, two mid-level, two large ceiling panels
  • full-coverage rain fly extends to the ground
  • two large vestibules
  • two doors
Borrowed tents with partial fly sheets leaked wind-blown rain in Shenandoah National Park so I wanted a full-coverage fly (extends to the ground). Two large vestibules store wet shoes and umbrellas, sandy sandals, and a door mat outside the Mantra 5. Curiously, when purchased in 2006, few double-wall tent designs had rain fly vents.

Kelty makes a 6 person Mantra 6

In 2007 at Assateague State Park, Maryland, I woke up to an odd floating sensation after several hours of rain. Stuck my hand outside to find 2 inches of water. Not a drop came came in the tent and this was with the factory-sealed seams.

Before purchasing, I spent several hours in REI pitching and stowing tents; several customers thought I was an employee. To test pole length, pitch in a retail store replete with displays and overhead signage.. it's just like a campsite with overhead branches and heavy brush.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 AM

We just picked up a Columbia Conrad Ridge for our family tent. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it does have a full coverage fly. It's looks like two dome tents which have been blended together. Columbia also makes the Cougar Flats II which also looked good. It was pretty much a toss up, so I went with the one with more mesh and one door. I will post a review when I get back from our GA camping trip in May. Oh yeah, it sleeps 8.

Matt
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 AM

I use a Eureka Equinox 6 person trip for car camping that I've been very happy with. It doesn't have pole sleeves and I can get it setup surprisingly quick. Might be a bit tight for 6 adults but could be worth a look.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Backpack: ULA Catalyst
Sleeping Gear: Hammock Gear Quilt
Shelter: Hammock and tarp (DIY)

We have been using the REI Basecamp 6

Been really happy with it. Not sure about sleeping 6. But 3 and a large english setter works really good.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Sleeping six is a crowd and even the big tents in the 12x12 foot range might seem a little small. Several years ago I started living in a 12x12 Cabelas Extreme weather Outfitter tent and gotta say, it's still standing after 4 years of constant 4 season use and still is leak-free. It's heavy and expensive but it's bombproof. Anyway, check out the Cabelas line of tents.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRPhoto
We have been using the REI Basecamp 6

Been really happy with it. Not sure about sleeping 6. But 3 and a large english setter works really good.
another for REI Basecamp... whats your pricerange?

I ask about price range because I would have loved to get the rei basecamp 6 but my wife didnt want to spend $350 on a tent so we ended up getting a Browning Highlander. It has the same pole design as the rei basecamp two doors and 2 vestibules. On the down side it has fiberglass poles, the main reason why i debated getting it for so long. We are only a family of 4 but wanted something large enough to take our German Shepard with us and space for a play-pin for my one year old. Its a great budget family tent with nice features.

Last edited by crgowo : 08-06-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM

I have the kelty mantra 7 and love it. I've learned to sent it up by myself, and you can stand up and walk around in side. when weight isn't a factor this is my goto tent.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky456
I use a Eureka Equinox 6 person trip for car camping that I've been very happy with. It doesn't have pole sleeves and I can get it setup surprisingly quick. Might be a bit tight for 6 adults but could be worth a look.

I also use the Eureka Equinox 6 for car camping. Love it! I put up this large domed hexagonal tent myself.

This tent has 3 large mesh windows that zipper closed (one is in the door)... most newer tents have mesh walls/ceilings and with fly on there is no way to see out. The white colored walls of the tent and light-beige fly allow for very nice day lighting and allows the tent to stay cool in direct sunlight. The best part is it held up in 60-70mph wind gusts properly staked down.

I hope to never purchase another car camping tent again.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

depending on whether you like gear in your tent, how big everyone is, etc, a '6-man' can be really cozy. our car-camping tent is rated for 8. six is about pushing it, since my wife likes to have at least the clothing luggage in the tent.

generally depending on conditions, i'd say take your group size and add one. it allows for beds, spacing, etc. if you don't like being all cozied up or you want to be able to exit without waking the entire tent with climbing, add two or three to your group size.

mountain hardwear makes a few tents in larger capacities that don't use sleeves(they have really nice hooks). you pay out though.

sleeves really aren't all that bad, speaking from experience. if need be, you can always pick up the tent and move it into location.