Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

My parents started taking me car camping when I was less than two years old.

My wife and I took our then one-year-old daughter camping a couple of summers ago. She was so excited that we actually were letting her play in the dirt that nothing else mattered too much for a while.

I would recommend going to a lake or stream so that the little ones can play in the water. They love that! Be sure to take sunscreen, and take some toys for downtimes after the dirt play wears off.

Enjoy camping with your kids. It's a blast!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 AM

I believe the younger you start them the better. I remember heating my son's formula on a coleman catylitic tent heater when he was a few months old. He's thirty now and still likes to camp. We have taken several of our grandkids car and boat campimg and they all beg for more. You just keep them safe and let them explore and enjoy. Real life is a gazillion times better than TV and video games. And for gosh sakes let them get dirty. You can clean them up later.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM

Sleeping arrangements for 1 y.o.???

Hey guys,
sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a quick question for those of you who have taken a really young one (less than 2 y.o.) car camping. What exactly were the sleeping arrangements and gear and what time of year did you go. We are probably taking my 1 y.o. daughter on her first trip in early May, and my vision is a double rectangle with the little one and mom; however, my wife is a cold sleeper and wraps herself up tight with about 1000 blankets, so I am not sure if co-sleeping would be of any benefit. I toss and turn like a chainsaw, so it's barely even safe for my wife to sleep with me, so that leaves me out. Anyone got any suggestions? Any and all info, including suggestions about things other than sleeping arrangements, is greatly appreciated.

Matt
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Our daughter (about 2) had her own pad and sleeping bag then I put her in my down coat and she slept like a baby . I will never forget the first time she walked into the tent, folded her little arms and said "this will be quite comfortable"
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Mine had their own pads and sleeping bags as well.

I tend to sleep on my side, facing left, so I would put mine to my left, for quick access.

My one was always all over the place during the night! I would put her on far side. I figured being up against the wall of the tent was better than waking up her sister too.

Now, I also want to mention, whenever I brought them when they were really little, I never got much sleep watching out for them....

Perkolady
Old 05-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I would also add, be VERY aware of a kids imagination! I took my son wilderness camping when he was about 3 or 4. He found a piece of quartz shaped like a tooth and added that to his collection of 'finds'. I told him later that it was probably a bears tooth. ( I live in Scotland, there are no bears) Bad idea!
About 2am a storm started rattling the tent. "It's a bear trying to get in Dad !!!" I spent hours trying to calm him down and convince him that i was only joking earlier. That was the last trip for a while till he was old enough to know there were no bears in Scotland.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 AM

And for goodness sakes... don't mention any possible "camp visiting critters" right before bedtime... I have made that mistake and relayed a story of how I once got visited by a family of raccoons that tried to steal all my food while I slept.

Every little noise from then on kept them on pins and needles for quite a while

Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Ultra 20 and POE mat
Shelter: SMD Lunar Duo

RE Sleeping arrangements, When our first was that old, we zipped our sleeping bags together and put her in the middle. Sounds like that won't work for you since you say you thrash about. Your wife may find that if your 1yo can fit safely and comfortably in the sleeping bag then she may not need the extra warmth. Those little one are regular old heaters.

I like the big puffy jacket idea.

Enjoy!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Hey TJD I'm in CT and want to get my Boys ages 3 and 7 out camping some more this summer, what were some of your favorite campsites in or near CT?

Thanks
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

Sleeping arrangements for 1 y.o.???

Monkey,

As far as sleeping arrangements go, I am in the same boat as you, I toss and turn while my wife is a cold sleeper.

My wife and I took our 1 year old camping several times last spring through early fall. On the cooler spring weekends (low of 40), we ended up taking two full length pads, laying them longways, to create about a 40 x 72 inch pad. 40 inches was long enough for my son, while 72 inches was wide enough for all three of us to fit on it. My wife and son slept in a double sized bag, rated to 0 degrees, while I slept beside them in one of my normal backpacking bags (35 degree rating). We bought the double sized bag specifically for this reason. It is a monster of a bag, thick, heavy, soft, warm and it was actually pretty cheap (SMU outdoors). Our thinking was, you do not want a young child to get cold during the night, and you can always open it up and/or lay something else over your top half while sleeping if it's too warm, and again it was cheap, perfect for car camping, even on warm summer trips we take it as a mattress.

We eat plenty of comfort foods (Mac and Cheese, hamburgers, pasta with meat sauce, pancakes, bacon and eggs, etc.) and we just kinda hang out, fish, feed ducks, explore and play with toys. He/we have an absolute blast.

I think when enjoying these kinda outings, it is good to remember that this is "family time" and not you normal backpacking excursions.

He is two years old this year and we are looking forward to going camping. Every now and then I will even set up my old 2-man backpacking tent in the family room and watch his excitment as he play's inside of it and pretends to sleep.

Last edited by Mountaineerbass : 03-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored links