Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

It's not difficult to sew a ridgeline pocket out of noseeum mesh. I made one that can be threaded over the ridgeline with a pocket on either side (my ridgeline is removeable, it's a homemade hammock).

Picture a vertical rectangle folded in half, with the sides then folded back upwards to make pockets... then sewn together, leaving a channel for the ridgeline. It helps to hem the noseeum first, to make it easier to work with.

It held a gatorade bottle full of water at my last camp, so I know it's pretty strong.

I'll see if I can find a picture of it (or take one).
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Backpack: The blue One
Sleeping Gear: 20 degree mummy bag
Shelter: Hennessey hammock

I have a 3 pocket no see um mesh holder on my hammock line above and 2 clips to hold my boots. Wow, the last thing I want inside my hammock is water!!! I try hard not to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Had to last night at 28 degrees in N. Ga. at 4 a.m. But you got me thinking..................
an EMPTY Gatorade bottle has lots of possibilities.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
Thanks for the great photo illustration, Mata... Did you make the mesh storage pocket?

Reality

No, I bought it from Dancing Light before they went out of business...it has lived in many hammocks...it would be a piece of cake to make...if I remember, next time I have the hammock up (when temps get above zero) I'll try to get a better picture of it's design...
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakeyOne
Wow, the last thing I want inside my hammock is water!!! I try hard not to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Had to last night at 28 degrees in N. Ga. at 4 a.m. But you got me thinking..................
an EMPTY Gatorade bottle has lots of possibilities.

Well, it wasn't for drinking. I heated the water right before bed and used it as a hot water bottle. As soon as it lost its heat, I relegated it to the pocket above. It was about 24F that night, but I was toasty warm.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Backpack: The blue One
Sleeping Gear: 20 degree mummy bag
Shelter: Hennessey hammock

Great idea. Could have used that non my toes in the mummy bag last week at 28 degrees. It's a 20 degree but my toes always get cold and the rest of me toasty. No insulation under the bag from knees down probably the reason. I used chemical hunting toe/hand warmers which did the trick.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 AM

Anything heavy you hang will usually slide down to the middle during the night. I just hang socks and glasses over the line and maybe a headlamp.Other gear just stays in my pack under the hammock on the ground. Remember, too, that water will run down the support lines.

Last edited by Rambler : 02-20-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Sounds like you're getting some good ideas, but something I haven't heard mentioned is a gear loft. Depending on how tight you pitch your hammock, you could easily make a small gear hammock that attaches to your ridgeline with a couple prussiks. If you made it from noseeum it could still be UL, and you'd have an awesomely consistent hammock theme.

I just built a hammock that is lacking ridgeline storage, so I might give this a whirl. If I do I'll post up a couple pictures.

Alright, I made a quick example of what I was thinking of with the gear hammock. It's probably too big b/c it brushes against my feet when it's loaded up with a bunch of stuff. But, with a little size refinement, it might be a good way to go. Here are the pics:

With just a water bottle:

DSCF0923.jpg

With a pillow inside to take up the space:

DSCF0924.jpg

Last edited by Job : 02-21-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

Neat idea Job,
Keep 'em coming!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Job,

That's got me thinking about hanging one with an opening on the end facing me. A mini Hennessy inside a Clark. hmmm I can just reach straight on in there and grab that cold delivered piece of pizza etc. Had the hammock up yesterday as it got all the way up to 40 F and sunny. Wanted to take some measurements to dimension what ever I end up building.

Thanks for the idea.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit
That's got me thinking about hanging one with an opening on the end facing me. A mini Hennessy inside a Clark. hmmm I can just reach straight on in there and grab that cold delivered piece of pizza etc. Had the hammock up yesterday as it got all the way up to 40 F and sunny. Wanted to take some measurements to dimension what ever I end up building.

I like it! Let us know how it goes.