Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear Workshop
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear Workshop The Gear Workshop forum is for the discussion of homemade backpacking gear, gear modifications, and repairs.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

DIY hammock

I am starting research on making a hammock this year as my DIY project. I've done some googling and talked to folks on here through PM to get a list of links already, so I've got some ideas floating around.

First, I'm curious what materials would be good for the hammock. I've read of folks using 1.9 ripstop, and Hennessey uses a lot of 70D nylon with a little 210D and 30D for different models. Has anyone successfully used anything else? I weigh about 155lb, at 5'8" tall, so I'm not a big guy by any means.

Right now, I think I like the idea of a 2-layer fabric bottom. That way, there's 2 layers of fabric between my body and the bugs on a hot summer night, and if I put an opening at one end, I can slide a foam pad in there for a little insulation. I understand that doing such would add weight, but as long as the whole shebang comes in at 2-3lb or less, I'll be happy.

I also want bug netting over the top, so figuring out how to implement that will probably be the most difficult part. I've never had the opportunity to try a hammock, so I don't know if bottom entry or side entry would be better for me. Does anyone who has tried both have any suggestions?

I'm also going to need a fly for the whole thing. I see Hennessey uses a couple different shapes. Do folks make a tarp specifically for the hammock, or can you make a pretty generic tarp so that you can use it on the ground, too? Material, again, is a question. Since we're dealing with a waterproof option, silnylon and PU coated polyester would be the two options. I'm thinking silnylon would be the lighter way to go, but the PU poly MAY be a shade dryer in heavy weather?

If you've made a hammock yourself, I'd be especially interested in seeing progress pics and finished pics of it, especially any details relating to adding bug netting or a bottom-entry.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Hi
I am half way through making a bug net for mine which will fit over my structural ridgeline and then attach with velcro around the hammock.
I have added two little tie outs at about a quarter of the way down from the head end. With these I can tie the hammock to the ground to open it out more with the bug net in place to give me a little more space inside.

The tarp that I have bought came from the sportsmans guide and is a Guide Gear 9 x 9 tarp. (i'd post the link but don't want to get it wrong again )
There are also plans out there available for silnylon tarps.
Gunn
Old 09-10-2007, 04:28 AM
Backpack: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus
Sleeping Gear: Homemade down quilt
Shelter: Tarp

I almost made a hammock about a year ago, and I planned on using silk, as per the instructions I found through one of the many hammock sites. It seems to be strong enough, and I thought it would be the most comfortable as well. Also, you get to say that you sleep in silk every night in the backcountry.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM

Hmmm, silk looks interesting. I might have to look more closely at it.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Okay, I've sewn together a double layer hammock. (See my gallery) If I had to do it over again I wouldn't bother. I struggled to keep the blasted pad lined up and not slipping at some odd angle out from under me. I never could get it right.

I then went for the segmented pad extender idea shown on the speer site. That was better but still not great. It had a tendency to bunch up while I was trying to lay at the slight diagonal that is needed to get flat.

I then tried throwing in my inflatable pad. When semi inflated this solution worked best as it conformed better. It didn't slide around as much as the ensolite pad.

I still haven't given up. I love the idea of a hammock. The trees in SC really call for a hammock. This is probably the same idea you had looking at the trees in Pittsburgh. I grew up in the Shadyside and Highland Park area.

I would stick with 1.9 ripstop. If you can't find any cheap drop me a PM. I may be able to hook you up with some. Cheers.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it's pretty tough to find good tent sites in PA. On a couple of trips, I've hiked an extra couple of miles just to find a place I can put my shelter. Quebec Run was especially hard, and the site we did end up with was not good. It would have been a nightmare if it had rained. A hammock would solve a whole lot of problems.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 PM

I made a hammock for my daughter which is two layers, I made the opening run length ways down one side of it and attached some hook and loop to close it with.
I would place the ccf pad into the opening and then close it with the hook and loop, then hang the hammock. I hope that the pad would not move but it has not been used yet.
Gunn
Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 AM

It will move in the middle of the night. That's almost a sure thing!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

don't use silk. there ends up being no weight/ strength advantage. i had 2 10mm silks that both broke within 4-6 months of occasional use. im only 180 lbs. 1.9 dwr is the best way to go.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Here is one that I like. :"imrisk zHammock"

Sorry, I still have not mastered setting up links, but this "Zrisk" hammock is a two layered model set up to take a sleeping pad or other insulating methods without having to have a separate under-hanging quilt or the like. It is also possible to make a hammock without using a sewing machine. Some have used silk. To make a tarp you do need a machine unless you have a minimum tarp set up on a diagonal or sym-shape as found at Hennessy. I like the Jacks R' Better design using an approximate 8 x 8 with only two points to be staked out. One nice thing about using a bigger tarp to cover your hammock, however, is that it also gives you a nice size tarp to set up as a stand alone shelter if you want to get back on the ground for your sleeping arrangements.

Maybe this will work.

Hey, I think I got it, YEAH!

Last edited by Rambler : 09-30-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost