Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Wilderness Photography
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Wilderness Photography The Wilderness Photography forum is for the discussion of photography (videography) gear, experience, and technique as it directly relates to wilderness photography. PBF members may also post self-owned photos that have been uploaded to the PB Gallery or as post attachments. Offsite links and offsite photos are prohibited. Please see ("sticky") instructional post located at top of threads.

View Poll Results: Do you use a camera on your backpacking trips?
I take my camera every time I go backpacking. 80 69.57%
I take my camera on most of my trips. 29 25.22%
I don't take a camera on any of my trips. 2 1.74%
Other: I'll explain in the thread. 4 3.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I bring my camera on most trips but, its normally when I don't have it I see something really cool. On my last hike, as I turned a corner, I found I was 10 yards from a coyote!.. Of course, no camera
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Always! Mine is pretty compact so I feel it's not too much of a burnen to bring it. I would hate myself if I left it behind and saw something unique I'd like to capture. To me, the weight is justified.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I take a camera most of the time. As some have said, when I don't have it thats when I needed it.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Now that we're a two-camera family, I can bring a camera every time out.

Pawing through pictures of past trips helps get me through too many endless days in the office. It also helps others understand why I backpack, brings the experience a little bit closer to those who can't get out anymore, and hopefully tempts a few newbies to set foot outside the road-bound world.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: ULA Catalyst

I always take my camera. It is 9 ounces that I don't mind carrying. I have a 2 gig memory card and the battery lasts a long, long time so I am always snapping shots.

Photography is one of my hobbies. On a four day trip I will usually end up with 300 pics on the card.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Almost always take the Camera

The norm is for me to take my camera unless there is a specific reason not to. On my recent thru I used it so that I could send back pictures to my trail journal as I went by switching the micro SD from the camera into my Blackberry. The idea worked great, but it limited the amount of Hi-Res photos I would take. Many of my best shots are so low-res that they look pixeled as a 4x6 photo. Can't have it both ways, I guess.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM

I have taken a disposable camera with me this summer. I like to have photos of interesting landmarks, scenery, etc. It gives me something to look back on, plus I can show the kids where their Dad was. The photos have helped spark their interest in the outdoors.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle, Women's
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Helium womens, Downmat 9 or BA Clearview
Shelter: Double Rainbow

I have a really nice Canon that I love to take with me ... if only it wasn't huge and heavy. It ends up mostly being relegated to car trips So I tend to rely on my cell phone camera ... its 1.5 MP, so while not 'superstar' quality, its just fine for online display. And it has worked suprisingly well in a variety of lighting conditions - including the dark (it has a led flash that isn't that strong, but strong enough.)
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 PM

I voted most of the time because sometimes I forget...photography was one of the justifications I backpack, and is still, but I was carrying 2 35 SLR's, a tripod and sometimes the addition of a 645. Over half my base WT was in camera crap. I now (when I remember to bring it) bring a small digicam
with still capability, but I hate the trade-off of quality that the I have to suffer, while loving the weight savings...a DSLR is out of the question now, but if I had one, my answer would have been always
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Backpack: Pod Black Ice
Shelter: Hilleberg Akto

Yep, I lug my dSLR on all backpacking trips and all day hikes (unless I'm going to just do a scrambling route - I'll take a compact then) The payoff of having all those nice photos to look at when indoors outweighs the extra weight

I stick it right at the top of my backpack nowadays. I did used to carry it round my neck but had too many close calls with it nearly hitting rocks.