Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

My favorite developed campground by far has been at Tsali Recreation area in the Nantahala National Forest in NC. 60+ miles of loop trails begin right at the campground (big for horses and mt bikers, trail access alternates from day to day so you can avoid either user if you want). The campground is also close to the AT for long distance backpacking, and the Nantahala Outdoor Center if you need supplies or wish to try out some whitewater paddling.

Best remote 'truck camping' type site I've been to was in the Escalante RD of the Dixie NF in UT. I was happiest on top of the plateaus at 9k-10kft because these were the most remote areas.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

My wife and I have found that January and February are two of the best months to score ocean front campsites in Southern California. Even if it's cool and rainy, we love it - but more often than not, we've been rewarded with sunny, 75 degree plus days with light winds. Most of the campsites are fairly remote, but some are right in the center of coastal greater-LA. One of our favorites is Doheney Beach, it backs up to a railway used by Amtrak, but if you're in a beach site, you can't hear the trains; and in January, we often have had open sites on either side of us. In the summer, we head to the mountains in central and northern Nevada.

The public lands in the west are so full of campsites, that it could take a lifetime to visit all of them within 300 miles of Las Vegas.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

There are gazillions of places to camp in California where I live and Oregon where my daughter lives and I have camped all over the western United States. But I have to say that when we went to British Columbia I never fou nd an even soso campground. They were all great. Provincial, private or national park they were simply awsome. The campsites were large, secluded (couldn't see ther next campsite) clean, reasonably priced. I can't say enough. CANADA KICKS BUT! The scenery wasn't hard on the eyes either.

And the fishing was awsome too.

Last edited by Lv2fsh : 03-28-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Awesome Nc/sc Beach Camping

Four WONDERFUL places to car camp at the beach in the Carolinas:

1. Myrtle Beach State Park, SC--The campground has drive in campsites that are a bit overused. A short walk brings you to a great Atlantic side beach -- the real reason to go!

2. Frisco Campground, Outer Banks NSS, NC--Drive in campsites are so well situated you feel your ALONE and the beach is even better!

3. Cape Lookout, NSS, NC--Park car on the mainland, access is by boat only but you can use a local guy to get you there for a fee. Short hike to great beach camping in the dunes, pack light, bring your own H2O--don't let the lighthouse beacon keep you awake at night!

4. Hammocks Beach State Park (Bear Island), NC--Park car on the mainland. A Park Ferry Service will get you there for a fee in season, but 3 miles by canoe, or kayak is more fun off season and the beach is EMPTY! 1 mile walk from the boat landing to bathhouse and H2O (Seasonal). Pack light, bring H2O off season. Ocean side campsites are right in the dunes!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

the pacific coast of washington is always a blast. the kalaloch campground cannot go without mention... it's a semi-developed campgrounds, bathrooms, running water near certain bathrooms, but no lights or water at the sites themselves.

they've actually had to tighten up on how long you can go, and how often per year, thanks to high demand. but, there's no campground quite as lovely.

for a couple decades now, it's been the only kind of camping my wife's family does. i used to get weird looks for backpacking, as though i were some sort of dangerous subversive or something.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

We have several nice state parks around Mississippi; however, the best times to go are later in the year when the bugs won't drag one into the woods and fight over the body.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor
We have several nice state parks around Mississippi; however, the best times to go are later in the year when the bugs won't drag one into the woods and fight over the body.

hah, sounds like kenai, up in alaska... cept they won't drag you off, they'll bleed you where you stand and move on to the next one... i spent the whole night sitting as far as i could from the walls of the tent, i swear their mouths were poking through more than a quarter inch.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

My favorite car camping site hands down is Palisades state park which is located near Garretson, SD. The views are great and there are tons of great top rope climbing routes along Split Rock Creek. It's a great place to spend a weekend if you're in the area.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhil
My favorite car camping site hands down is Palisades state park which is located near Garretson, SD. The views are great and there are tons of great top rope climbing routes along Split Rock Creek. It's a great place to spend a weekend if you're in the area.

yes, it is... i spent a couple days there in the spring of 2002. VERY nice area. i stopped in yellowstone just a couple days after, too. that whole area is entirely too damn lovely, some of the most amazing views i've ever seen were out there.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Nc Smamp Thing

Need to add to my list: Merrit's Mill Pond SP.
In season you can rent a canoe at the park cheap.
Load up and paddle 1.5 miles to your campsite in a creepy cypress swamp on an island.
Go around Columbus Day or later (have to bring your own boat) and the heat and bugs are'nt bad.
Tell scary tales around the campfire to set the mood.
Don't let the bull frogs keep you up at night!

DANG! Forgot to mention this one for the rock climbers--Stone Mnt. SP (NC Not GA).
Nice car camping here.
Great hike over the top of the granite dome--if your lucky the kids might get to pet the feral goats that show up once in awhile .
There's a reconstructed mountain farmstead at the base of the mountain where you can watch the human ants climb the 600+ feet of one of the most popular climbing spots in the southeast.

Last edited by tonto : 06-16-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored links