Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle, Women's
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Helium womens, Downmat 9 or BA Clearview
Shelter: Double Rainbow

Has anyone ever used Iki Jimi spikes? Humane killing has always been one of my problems with fishing, but I'm just too much the carnivore to do catch and release (and the buggers are just too yummy). These look like a nice lightweight solution. Any one have any experience?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Speaking of tubes for carrying / protecting rods... your local hardware store might carry plastic tubes used to cover fluorescent lights for protective purposes (keeps the glass in the plastic tube in case of breakage).

I use one of these in a four foot length to store & transport my graphite fly rod. It's not as rough and tough as PVC. It won't protect the rod from a heavy crushing weight, but it is light, cheap and protective. I put the rod in a flannel rod sock, then stuff it into the tube.

I've never carried it backpacking but it has protected my fly rod from the bangs and bumps of many family camping trips. The tube could be easily cut to a shorter length for backpacking. YMMV

For backpacking, I've carried a 4 piece fly/spin combo wrapped in my sleeping pad. Unfortunately, the fly/spin combo means it doesn't work well for either one. I'm still searching for the perfect backpacking fly rod. It's out there, but my wife thinks the money is better used for food, clothing and mortgage. Silly girl. >B-)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Fishing is one of, if not the biggest, reasons I backpack. I hike to high mountain lakes 9000 to 11,000+ lakes an fish for brookies, cuts, rainbows and the occasional mac (YUK). I count on catching trout for lunch, dinner, whenever! My bros and I do it simple, wrap 'em in foil and throw 'em on the coals! IMHO the less you add to them the better they are...fresh, uncomplicated...delicious!

I take an Eagle Claw fly/spin combo pack rod. 7.5', 4 sections, and an old Penn ultra light reel I got off ebay. I spin fish (no patients for changing flies) and carry 15-20 lures, swivels, a few sinkers, and other misc. tackle. Not sure of the total weight...this is one area I've yet to go ULB on.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

I just recieved this fly rod from a craftsman who makes these from raw blanks and cork. He sells fishing gear and rod building materials- also makes rods now and again. So I guess you could say this one was custom made.

Its overall length is 8'9" and has a medium/fast taper to deliver a weight forward line with lightning speed, nice presentation (although not as precise as a slower "action" rod) with little effort. Packs down to 16.5 inches x 7 pieces. Rod weighs 3.4 ounces. Does not come with a case, or a sock, but for $50 Im not complaining. I have played with it a little in the yard and believe it to be as nice as some of the $150-200 rods Ive casted. With the combination of a Martin Mohawk 5/6 weight reel (not pictured) and some WF6F line, it makes a nice budget system for beginners as well as vets. Im pretty satisfied and I havent even landed a trout yet!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Sorry if I missed this when reading through the thread......but has anyone used this thing? At that price it seems to good to be true.

Anyway, I use a two piece 5' 6" ugly stick and a small real. It's the same set-up I use for non backpacking so it's far from ideal and I've been looking for something else......so thanks for posting this. I'm going to get one of those that the OP links too. I'm skeptical on quality but at that price I wouldn't really care if it didn't work out.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I've checked out the "pen reels", they are reasonably priced also.

I actually use a kids reel when I go hiking near a lake

My tackle is pretty simple, I carry a few jigs, some immitation worms that i treat with pan fish spray and a bobber or two.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Backpack: Osprey Exos 46
Sleeping Gear: Jacks R Better No Sniveller Quilt
Shelter: Hennessy Ultralite Explorer Hammock

Help with a Backcountry Fishing Rod & Reel

I'm looking at a rod and reel for backpacking fishing. Since I don't know if I'll ever use it or maybe not like fishing in the backcountry once I try, I'm looking at an inexpensive travel set, say $25-35.
Wal-mart and Sportsmans Warehouse have what I looking for price-wise.

So I have several questions:

Is a telescopic rod or a multi-piece rod more likely to break?
At Sportsmans, they also offer just the rod without a reel. Should I choose that option and go look at reels seperately?
If so, what models should I look at?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

My son broke a telescoping rods - the shakespear one that comes in the kit sold at walmart and gander mountain. So I do think they are less durable. I've had my cherrywood and ugly stick for 20 years.

I prefer to buy a separate telesopic rod so i can pick my reel rather than the junk they put in those kit. what I would really like is a telescopic bait casting rod but I haven't found one yet that extends beyond 4 feet.

The bottom line is that the $25 kits are probably the best option as long as you treat it as a throw away item - when it breaks throw it away and buy another.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Backpack: Osprey Exos 46
Sleeping Gear: Jacks R Better No Sniveller Quilt
Shelter: Hennessy Ultralite Explorer Hammock

nogods,

On durability, do you prefer your multi-piece Ugly Stick or the telescopic rod?

Is there any significant difference in weight bwt the multi-piece or telescopic?

And any suggestions on the seperate lightweight (spinning) reel?

Thanks for your response.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGene
On durability, do you prefer your multi-piece Ugly Stick or the telescopic rod?

I prefer fishing with the two piece ugly stick but I would have to carry it ouside my pack. The collasible packs better especially if I'm taking it "just in case". But if I was hiking into a pond specifically to fish I would probably take the two piece ugly stick

Quote:
Is there any significant difference in weight bwt the multi-piece or telescopic?

Not that is noticible to me, but I've never weighed them. The collasible is shorter and has a smaller lighter handle, so I'm guessing it would be lighter.

Quote:
And any suggestions on the seperate lightweight (spinning) reel?

No but I've always been satisfied with shakespear reels as a middle quality affordable equipment. I started my baitcasting on Daiwa magnetics so I'm partial to them for my serious bass and pike fishing.

If you find a collasible rod and lightweight reel you like please let me know.