Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_backpacker
Nate - that combo is nice and light (roughly the same as mine), and probably more versatile with the extra length when extended. It's definitely a good option, although you'd have to be a little more careful with the eyes in your pack.

I spooled up my little one with 4# line and did a few test casts behind my house for yard bass (got skunked). It seems to work well, though having a fish on the other end will be the reel (lame pun intended) test.
A bit of PVC pipe just large enough diameter for the rod to fit in adds plenty of protection so it can either go inside or strap to the outside of a pack. You can use slip-on or threaded end caps so you can easily get to it.

BTW, I have to order a couple of those pen-style rod and reels now at $20 you can't beat it... I just hope the eyes are OK even though they are small.

Also, a few years back a friend got me a fly/spin reel combo from Marlboro cigarette points that breaks down to a really small size and came with a small padded case even. I'm not sure how many lungs it took him to get it but it is nice.

- Dominic
Old 04-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

Here's a pic of some accessories I picked up today for my Mammoth Cave trip.

I still have to dig through my big tackle box to get some extra swivels, hooks, and some sinkers, but it won't add much to the weight. Currently in the picture is the small Flambeau box with a couple removable dividers, some jigs for crappie & panfish, a couple spinners, a spoon, a floating/shiny/rattling shad lure, and a rooster tail. I also got a folding fillet knife in case I catch anything big enough to eat. All of this comes in at about 7.8oz (with the knife being most of that weight). If I was only interested in catch & release, I'd leave the knife home.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Why the big fillet knife? I just get the guts out with my normal knife and fry the fish.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Why the big fillet knife? I just get the guts out with my normal knife and fry the fish.
Same here, just gut, rinse well in the stream, put a bit of butter/oil in the cavity as well as in the pan some salt, pepper, paprika, and a bit of garlic powder/salt and good to go. The meat will flake off.

I do have to admit I normally fish for trout, and there are some cases where a fillet knife would be handy and that one is pretty nice for size/weight... heck if your cooking fish you need a frying pan already so the knife is negligible. I have done trout in foil though.

- Dominic
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

I want a knife dedicated to fish guts because I don't want to clean a fish with the knife and then find that I want to slice off a piece of sausage. Sterilizing a knife in the backcountry can be a little problematic. I'm not putting my reg knife over my stove because it has a plastic handle.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM

Now that is COOL!

If I am up in the mountains, sometimes I'll carry my 2-3 weight 5-piece travel flyrod. I am going to look real close at that spinning rod though!
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 PM

I bought the penrod and mini spinning reel.

As far as casting in my backyard, the system works great. Soon, I'm be able to test it in the Sierras and find out what the trout think of it.

Thanks all for sharing.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I have that fastand light rod and reel...I really like it although I haven't caught anything on it yet...

I really like my Benchmade folding filet knife:

I carry my lures in this 8.5 X 8.5 bag with removable/exchangeable plastic sleeves:
Old 04-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mataharihiker
I have that fastand light rod and reel...I really like it although I haven't caught anything on it yet...

Me thinks that's not the rod/reel's fault...

Quote:
I really like my Benchmade folding filet knife

I think that knife is slick. Not sure I'd carry a specific filet knife though - I think I could accomplish what I need with me Bechmade 530, even though it's only a 3.25" blade. That said, I've never tried to filet a fish with a small blade, so who knows...
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Backpack: Aarn
Sleeping Gear: WM Highlight
Shelter: Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock

Fly Fishing Set Up

I've taken up fly fishing over the winter and am planning to carry a rod n reel into the back country this season. I have considered this light weight set up, but haven't been willing to spend the money.

At this point, I'm planning on taking my 5 weight Winston in this tube. And an Orvis Battenkill Barstock Reel. 13 oz total for rod, reel, line and tube.
Sponsored links